They've lost me this time

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I like the site: Much easier to get around in than the normal news organization (CNN, ABC, NBC, ...). I checked all the stories from 3/27 (two days before your first post) to current and it's not there yet, but I will continue looking.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It will probably go up tommorow, Mark, our time. It's Tuesday night here - well, Wednesday morning, technically, about 1:30AM - and it was only broadcast this morning. Er ... I mean Tuesday morning.

The ABC is a truly astonishing organisation: they struggle with budget cuts almost every year and horrible bureacracy, and do an incredible amount of work on a tiny amount of money. The average ABC-trained journalist can leave and go to one of the commercial TV stations and expect to double or triple his income (or hers) but the best ones stay just because they like the place. Sometimes they do 10 years or so at the ABC and then go over to the dark side to make their fortune. Many of the big-name "TV-star" journalists - half the 60 Minutes team, for example - are ex-ABC people, looking a little shame-faced sometimes, but pulling in some serious money. Quite a few of them do another 10 or 15 years or so feeding at the Packer or the Murdoch trough and toeing whatever the corporate line happens to be this year, and then, having made their money, wind up back to the ABC, just for the love of it. When they first come back, they often seem slick and shallow - habit, I guess - but after a few months they seem to pick up the ethos again, and go right back to doing some really first-class journalism. Sometimes, I think the ABC is the one thing that makes living in Australia worthwhile. Without honest news ..... this place would be terrible.

Tannin, by the way, has gone to bed and left me alone and in charge of the computer. This could be dangerous! :eek:

honold

Storage is cool
Tannin said:
P5-133XL and Honold, when I said "ABC" I didn't mean American ABC, I mean the real thing.
yeah, because everyone knows how much the average american cares about israel...

nice to know canada has 'the real thing'. i would appreciate it if you'd save your anti-usa/pro-canada media bits for people more biased. i'm more than willing to admit we probably get the prettier side of the picture with regards to iraq, but trust me, there's no need to shield the american public from israeli inhumanity if it did happen.

that isn't the kind of thing that can get squelched across every media channel. somebody will talk about it.

as witnessed with the peter arnett issue, reporters will lose their jobs if they take the wrong steps on iraq issues.

honold

Storage is cool
its.fubar said:
Unfortunately there is obviously a small percentage of Europeans that hate the Americans and that's blown up in the mass media out of all proportion for sensationalism, but they are very few in number, the real problem is the arrogance of your government is what they hate "not the people" do you understand the difference.
yes, i understand the difference. i also understand that i can name 5 people that traveled abroad in the last month (australia, germany, france) and were treated with open hostility (spit on in australia, refused service in germany, yelled at in france).

people are upset at the government's arrogance, and they do take it out on american citizens.

its.fubar

Learning Storage Performance
honold said:
its.fubar said:
Unfortunately there is obviously a small percentage of Europeans that hate the Americans and that's blown up in the mass media out of all proportion for sensationalism, but they are very few in number, the real problem is the arrogance of your government is what they hate "not the people" do you understand the difference.
yes, i understand the difference. i also understand that i can name 5 people that traveled abroad in the last month (australia, germany, france) and were treated with open hostility (spit on in australia, refused service in germany, yelled at in france).

people are upset at the government's arrogance, and they do take it out on american citizens.

Can you name all the Moslem's Arabs that are being treated with absolute hostility which are American citizens by your government and Many so called citizens of the U.S.A

honold

Storage is cool
its.fubar said:
Can you name all the Moslem's Arabs that are being treated with absolute hostility which are American citizens by your government and Many so called citizens of the U.S.A
i made an observation about treatment of americans overseas, you disputed it, i responded with personal evidence...and now you change the subject in a completely backwards direction?

i fail to see how this justifies or has anything to do with the mistreatment of american citizens overseas, especially in places like australia/germany/france. they're so upset that people from OTHER COUNTRIES are mistreated by americans that they've elected to do the EXACT SAME THING?

people mistreat people everywhere, and none of it is justified. you completely changed the subject, for reasons i don't understand.

what does 'so-called citizens' mean?

fubar, mubs, tannin...do you hear yourselves speaking here? what have i done to provoke this?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
First off, I've been out of action (as far as SF is concerned) for ~24 hours :(

Honold, this post is mainly addressed to you.

This is a heated and sensitive topic. With heated arguments. It's a debate on points. We seemed to have totally different perspectives on certain issues, and I was trying to articulate mine, perhaps forcefully. My policy always has been, if we ( I and somebody else) cannot see eye to eye, then we agree to disagree. That is what I was alluding to when I said we must be living in different dimensions.

Nothing personal was ever intended. I have no problems at all with you; I think you're a very smart guy. Please don't take it personally. Truly, my intention is not to hurt or to be rude. If my posts in this thread have been perceived to be hostile / aggressive / rude / nasty, I apologize unconditionally and will try to express myself in softer terms in the future.

Hope all is well.

Dïscfärm

mubs said:
At the time Israel was created, weren't the Palestinians promised their own country?...
Yes. It was supposed to be what is NOW mostly Jordan, but another group ended up going there because King Saud exiled them there (essentially).

One place that was looked at for a Jewish homeland before what is now called Israel, was a large block of uninhabited land in Libya near Tunisia.

its.fubar

honold said:
its.fubar said:
i made an observation about treatment of americans overseas, you disputed it, i responded with personal evidence...and now you change the subject in a completely backwards direction?

i fail to see how this justifies or has anything to do with the mistreatment of american citizens overseas, especially in places like australia/germany/france. they're so upset that people from OTHER COUNTRIES are mistreated by americans that they've elected to do the EXACT SAME THING?

people mistreat people everywhere, and none of it is justified. you completely changed the subject, for reasons i don't understand.

what does 'so-called citizens' mean?

fubar, mubs, tannin...do you hear yourselves speaking here? what have i done to provoke this?

A country is looked upon by the way another country sees that country working.
i.e if a country does not respect its own citizens how can you expect respect from outside your own country,are you suggesting then there should be one type of respect for one group of people and not given to another group.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
honold said:
honold said:
...canada...pro-canada...
mistake. my apologies.

It's cool, Honold. If I was going to be mistaken for anyone, I guess I'd chose to be mistaken for a Canadian. Or possibly a New Zealander. The three (relatvely) small English-speaking ex-colonies (Can, Oz, NZ) have a great deal in common.

(Yeah, there are others too in that "relatively small, English-speaking" category, but I should not like to be mistaken for a South African or a Rhodesian. Too many bad racial associations there. Not that our own past is all lemonade and roses, mind you.)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
In the early hours of TUESDAY morning said:
It's Tuesday night here - well, Wednesday morning, technically, about 1:30AM - and it was only broadcast this morning. Er ... I mean Tuesday morning.

Tannin, by the way, has gone to bed and left me alone and in charge of the computer. This could be dangerous! :eek:

See what happens when I leave her alone? She was watching the Tuesday page for a broadcast that went to air on Sunday, and after getting home from work on Monday night, the silly ape was rabbiting on and on about how it was Wednesday already.

And people ask me why I drink.

honold

Storage is cool
its.fubar said:
the real problem is the arrogance of your government is what they hate "not the people" do you understand the difference.

ok, so they only hate the government, and there is a difference. got it.

its.fubar said:
i.e if a country does not respect its own citizens how can you expect respect from outside your own country,are you suggesting then there should be one type of respect for one group of people and not given to another group.

ok, so they hate the people, and there is no difference. got it.

thanks for being so clear, consistent, and non-generalized. i can truly see that things are changing for the better!

honold

Storage is cool
Tannin said:
It's cool, Honold. If I was going to be mistaken for anyone, I guess I'd chose to be mistaken for a Canadian. Or possibly a New Zealander. The three (relatvely) small English-speaking ex-colonies (Can, Oz, NZ) have a great deal in common.
thanks for understanding - i thought there was a real opportunity for an, 'oh yeah, any country that isn't the usa can be any other country!' etc. what happened was i saw coug's quebec on the top of the other screen.

i know that quebec and australia are both similar in size and located near brazil, but still, it was a clear mistake.

its.fubar

honold said:
its.fubar said:
the real problem is the arrogance of your government is what they hate "not the people" do you understand the difference.

its.fubar said:

thanks for being so clear, consistent, and non-generalized. i can truly see that things are changing for the better!

If you wish to interpret What I have written that way, that is entirely up to you,that again is another reason why you Americans do not understand what is happening outside the USA.

honold

Storage is cool
its.fubar said:
If you wish to interpret What I have written that way, that is entirely up to you,that again is another reason why you Americans do not understand what is happening outside the USA.
how can i not directly interpret the words of someone so clearly OBJECTIVE about the situation? no reserved opinions about the us or its citizens, right?

you were (and are) running circles of unjustifiable rationalization, and now you're really letting your prejudice shine.

just leave me out of it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
honold said:
i would appreciate it if you'd save your anti-usa/pro-canada media bits for people more biased.
honold said:
honold said:
...canada...pro-canada...
mistake. my apologies.
honold said:
what happened was i saw coug's quebec on the top of the other screen.
Did I read correctly? This guy confused me for a canadian? Me...a CaNaDiAn? :eekers: Québec is not Canada, Tabarnack! My flag is blue (
img-drapeau-ondule.jpg
), not red. What's next, Bush mistaken for a French?

Clarification had to be made.

honold said:
i know that quebec and australia are both similar in size and located near brazil, but still, it was a clear mistake.
You're right. I take a walk to Brazil every week-end when I have an hour to kill. About Australia and Québec's similarities, I heard from people who travels a lot that the most similar country to Québec is apparently Finland. Similar climate (probaly not as drastic temperature changes though) and similar people (in term of hospitality and relatively small number, not language). Not that I think it's bad to be compared to Australians though...

Handruin

Administrator
its.fubar said:
honold said:
its.fubar said:

its.fubar said:

Outside of traveling, what our my options for understanding what is happening outside the USA? I don't, for one bit, take my local media seriously, it's all BS as far as I’m concerned. How do YOU know what happens outside the USA?

In perspective to the world, since I don’t know what’s happening in Connecticut or New Hampshire, should they hate me being a Mass residant?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A very good question, Doug. It's a lot harder for you (or for Mercutio, or Honold) than it is for most people. Your problem is twofold: first, the United States is a long way away from anywhere else. (Not counting Canada, Mexico, or Coug's Cingdom, the name of which requires too many special characters for me to type easily.) Physical isolation, even these days with the amazing electronic communication we have, is a very real influence. (Here in Oz, we know about this one, of course.)

Much more important though, is the sheer size of the USA. Almost all other countries, being smaller, have the great blessing of outside opinion as part of their daily lives. I'm especially talking about TV and movies here, but also newspapers and other, less obvious communications. You simply can't grow up in Milan or Brisbane or Durban or Toronto or probably even Mombassa without taking in a great deal of foreign media content. The United States is one of a tiny handful of nations around the world that generates close enough to 100% of its own media content, that (in broad) to see anything but its own publicity.

Every nation generates its own publicity, of course, but only in the USA (and some others that I'll mention in a moment) is that home-grown PR the only thing you see. In consequence, the US is particularly prone to a terrible error: believing in your own PR. The Brits generate PR, the French generate PR, we Australians generate PR, but our PR must compete with the PR we get beamed into our homes every night from other, competing sources.

The result is a terrible myopia, a blight on the national ability to see things clearly. We get it too, of course, though not quite so badly, as we tend to get (making up numbers for the sake of example) about 50% American PR, 20% English PR, and 20% home-grown stuff. (Plus an assortment of leftover bits from other places.) This mixture, unbalanced and from too few sources though it is, helps maintain a sense of perspective.

Now, I said I'd mention the other places that have the same problem. There are two broad categories:

(1) The very large places that have enough PR-generation capacity to be self-sufficient. I mentioned the USA, add China and Japan. You can probably add Russia too, though I'm not really up to speed on modern Russia, and I suspect that you could also add the Arab world. I doubt that Egypt or Iran or Libya alone have enough PR-making capacity to make sure that their citizens don't ever see anything made in Germany or Hong Kong or Hollywood, but put them all together and there is plenty. You might also add India to this list, though I wonder if India itself isn't so diverse that it sort of "self-cross-fertilises", if you get what I mean.

Notice, by the way, that the nations/areas I have described as "information-poor" (the US, China, Japan, the Arabs, possibly Russia or India too) are the very same nations/trans-national groupings that tend to throw their weight around on the international stage the most. This, in my view, is no accident. It follows as naturally as chicken follows egg.

Secondly, there is the the smaller type of information-poor society. Here, the difficulty isn't that the home-grown media is so loud that it drowns out all other views that might lead to better international understanding, it's that other views are forbidden by law. Into this category of the information-poor you can slot nations like Iraq, Lybia, the former Soviet Union, Spain under Franco, and just about any other tin-pot dictatorship you care to mention.

--------

Sorry to give you a broad-view historian's answer to a personal question, Doug. But for what it's worth, that's the background. What do I do? (Why me? Because although we Australians don't have the information blight as bad as you Americans do, we still have it pretty bad.)

Well, to start with, don't watch NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox/CNN. Try not to watch them at all. You will still get plenty of home-grown PR seeping through the cracks of your daily life, so don't feel that you will be missing anythig by this. Now you have freed up time in your daily routine to take in some other sources. I'm not sure what's available in the States and what's not, but here in Oz I highly recommend SBS (the Special Broadcasting Service) that takes its content from all over the world. Some English-language stuff, but most of it from Italy, France, India, China, everywhere. Our ABC is superb (as I mentioned above).

Neither of these apply to the USA, but now and again I see PBS stuff on either ABC or SBS, and (at least the stuff that makes it to Australia is very good indeed. I should imagine that if I lived in the USA I'd watch PBS quite a lot.

What about cable? You have 16,000 cable channels, don't you? Or is there one good cable channel and 15,999 Home Shopping Shows? But maybe you can get overseas stuff on cable.

Finally, there is the web. I already linked to www.abc.net.au in a post above. There is a wealth of excellent stuff there. And the BBC World Service is superb. They'll have a web site. If they are anything like the ABC you'll be able to use your broadband connection to download audio and listen to it while you cook or do the dishes or whatever. (You can't spend all day in front of the computer screen.) (Well, I do, but that's not what I recommend as a part of a healthy lifestyle.)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I listen to the BBC world service when I catch it... My radio never turns off of NPR when I'm the only one listening... In fact.. I own 3 radios and 2 of them are tuned to NPR (national public radio) right now.. the other one is my alarm clock which is tuned to the most annoying station I could think of (I'm a heavy sleeper).

James

Storage is cool
Actually Japan has some of the most comprehensive and detailed international TV news I've ever seen. And that's without me even understanding the language.

its.fubar

that lunatic who is sitting in the white house by default is on some kind of religious crusade,Where he is trying and almost succeeding in fooling the world's news agency in to the assumption that he is the new John Wayne hero where he will single-handedly save the world with a great deal of talking and threatening behavior, it reminds me of a second rate B- movie.

the situation in America today also reminds me of another great time in American history "the Joe Mccarthy era" where that person did a lot of accusing but got very very little right but succeeded in destroying many innocent people's lives "do you see the connection" between what the F. B. I. is doing to all the Arabs in the USA today.

This morning I also heard on one of your satellite Fox news programs the military should not be allowed to exercise their constitutional right of free speech this obviously brings up what type of unbiased balanced reporting and what type of reporters you have there,What are they trying to do "is it" Controlling what is and what is not News By saying who can speak, well done the united states you are truly a free Land.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ayatollah Bush does sound kind of like a religious loony, doesn't he? He talks of crusades in the middle east (he did, literally, use the word "crusade"... and I'd take a bet that's a word that'd get Arabs a little riled up) and mentions the fact that he "prays for guidance" and that "god blesses am-erikka" an awful lot.

Compare that to someone like Helmut Kohl, who was a member of Germany's Christian Democrat party. I don't think Kohl ever talked about praying or crusades or blessings.

Bush probably does come off as a nutcase.

The other side of this is, almost every presidential candidate in the US *HAS* to be a "born again" type. Even beer swillin', girl chasin' Clinton had an epiphany and a conversion before becoming a politician (Clinton is a member of the Southern Baptist church. His wife is a presbyterian. They attended a Methodist church while Clinton was president. I don't understand the distinctions, but I am aware of them). I don't think you can be elected to high national office in the US, outside of California or NY, without being "born again".

honold

Storage is cool
its.fubar, i don't think i'm out of line in saying that you're probably wasting a lot of anger on this situation. i just skimmed storagereview from your posts, and i'm only finding anger-riddled anti-usa sentiments.

go take a walk, enjoy your own country, and be GLAD you don't live here if that's what you want. don't me MAD because we do. i'm sure you'd be a lot happier for it.

its.fubar

honold said:
its.fubar, i don't think i'm out of line in saying that you're probably wasting a lot of anger on this situation. i just skimmed storagereview from your posts, and i'm only finding anger-riddled anti-usa sentiments.

go take a walk, enjoy your own country, and be GLAD you don't live here if that's what you want. don't me MAD because we do. i'm sure you'd be a lot happier for it.

I would do as you suggest if the U.S. wasn't messing up my country also and by the way I am living in Europe. So God help them living in the middle east because nobody else will.

honold

Storage is cool
it wasn't to imply that you should give up your cause, just that you might not make yourself so upset in the process. it is quite possible to actively protest something without letting it ruin your day.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Reg. Tannin's post:

My car radio (the only one I can lay my hands on really easily) is always tuned to one of two NPR stations in town. I watch little television (~2 hours a month?) and when I do, its PBS. There is a small but very dedicated following the the public broadcasting system in the U.S.

I have first hand knowledge that India is not so closed off as you think it is; you'd be surprised how much they track international events there. The BBC has had a major presence there for innumerable years, and still does. It's easily received on even the lousiest radio in any part of the country, and BBC World News on TV is trusted and watched quite a bit. Printed media covers world events quite well too. During my visit, I was amazed at how much they were aware of world events as contrasted with the almost complete ignorance in the U.S.

its.fubar

honold said:
it wasn't to imply that you should give up your cause, just that you might not make yourself so upset in the process. it is quite possible to actively protest something without letting it ruin your day.

That is the problem with most people today they are so worried about Something that might ruin there day, where they will except a situations which normally they would not tolerate.

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin, thanks for the elaborate post. I know I directed my comments to its.fubar, but truthfully I was curious how others would answer, if at all.

I don't spend much time in front of the television these days. The majority of the channels are littered with high terror: alert (Fox in particular :spiderman: ) scrolling across the screen every second. My cable options are limited to about 38 channels, not the 16,000 like everyone else. :) After all the news stations it leaves me with 5-6 stations. TLC is fun to watch and so is the history channel. I like watching home improvement shows...but I digress.

I do spend a good deal of time in my car, so I'll start to explore radio stations as a way to learn about current events, but I fear they will be highly opinionated. Lately I've been learning a lot from people at work. I work with a very diverse group of people ranging from Chinese, to Indian, to Russian, to Turkish, to Irish and so on.

I'm starting to believe, hell...I do believe that media is the root of evil between nations.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I very much doubt that this report from The Times will find its way into the US media.

Please don't be offended, but this view of the US military is quite common in the Australian armed forces as well. What is perhaps troubling, is that Australia and the UK are America's closest allies.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
Please don't be offended, but this view of the US military is quite common in the Australian armed forces as well. What is perhaps troubling, is that Australia and the UK are America's closest allies.

It's a little disturbing that you would think this would be offensive; otherwise while regrettable the story makes sense. It is a bit simplistic though.

Simply compare the average age of the two forces and you can find explaination for some of the actions.

its.fubar

Handruin said:
its.fubar said:
honold said:
its.fubar said:

its.fubar said:

Outside of traveling, what our my options for understanding what is happening outside the USA? I don't, for one bit, take my local media seriously, it's all BS as far as I’m concerned. How do YOU know what happens outside the USA?

In perspective to the world, since I don’t know what’s happening in Connecticut or New Hampshire, should they hate me being a Mass residant?

I apologize for not answering earlier but I did not notice that you had answer my post .

that is what the problem is, people do not Know what is happening next door to where they live let alone in another country, do they hate you no of course not, misunderstand you is more likely.

why do we have this problem, well one reason might be the type of politicians that we have,another reason might be the mass media and it's continual rampage after sensational news,one might also say the larger country you are the less time and energy you have for things that are outside your borders.

How do we address these problems, well one way is not voting for politicians that promise you everything but give you nothing,another possibility is stop watching stations such as Fox news where their biased reporting is sickening, another possibility is putting your faith in the U.N and demanding that your government does the same.