This bites

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
As unfortunate, as it is, it is also quite understandable from Microsoft's point of view. They, for security reasons, with to limit all OS upgrades to official Microsoft sites. If , for any reason intentional or non, a virus, Trojan, malware, or even a corrupted file was posted there under the guise that it was an official Microsoft update then many people could be adversely affected and blaming Microsoft ...

Then there are also potential issues with Microsoft's Genuine advantage program which forces customers to validate their copy before DL'ing updates. They really wish to force people to prove they have non-pirated OS's before they are allowed to update their copies and this bypasses the entire validation process ...

It is a nice convienance, but really I'm surprised it lasted this long before M$ shut it down.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Glad I downloaded everything there was a few weeks ago. It was a real time saver...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, for the IT-inclined, a private Windows Software Update Server isn't all that hard to set up. For those who aren't so inclined, making an updated windows install disc with all the updates slipstreamed in is pretty simple as well.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tell us more about makng your own Windows Update server, Merc. I guess I download the whole lot - about 85 individual patches - about 3 or 4 times a day on average, so it might make sense for me.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Tell us more about makng your own Windows Update server, Merc. I guess I download the whole lot - about 85 individual patches - about 3 or 4 times a day on average, so it might make sense for me.
Why don't you slipstream them into your XP install disk with NLite??

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

WSUS requires a Windows 2000 or 2003 Server and either domain membership + appropriate group policies or a registry patch that would need to be un-done before the PCs were removed from your shop.

For your shop, you would be better off with slipstreamed install CDs + rmvb add-on packs.

Or, you know, sysprepped install discs.

ddrueding

Fixture
Or, you know, sysprepped install discs.

This is probably your best bet, Tony.

1. Get a basic machine that nobody uses for regular work, it is just your image source.
2. Maintain an up-to-date install with all your usual apps already on, updated, and configured.
3. Whenever you need to do an install, put your destination drive in this box and image it over (ghost, acronis, whatever).
4. Use MS' CD-Key changer thing, and Sysprep...and activate.

I know if I were doing as many builds as you, and they were as uniform as yours are, that is what I would be doing.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Apparently AutoPatcher is back up. What it now does is build a list of updates which it downloads directly from MS, which is then bundled together in the usual AutoPatcher way. Yay for portability.

http://www.autopatcher.com/

Piyono

Storage is cool
AutoPatcher?

Never heard of it.
I use RyanVM's update packs, although it looks like AutoPatcher has more frequent updates.

Piyono

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The new Autopatcher is great. It downloads the most recent patches so it is up to date. Then the entire program and patches can be burned to disc.
RyanVM is good too, but is made to be slip streamed into the install disk.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmm...never tryed RyanVM updater. Always used NLite to slip stream it into an install disk.