Tidy Accessories

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been trying to find a justification to use a desktop (as opposed to tower) case, specifically the Silverstone ML-03 because it's cheap and has front-panel USB 3.0 ports. But it's too thick for height-adjustable monitors to sit on, and most people with more than one monitor wouldn't want that anyway. So it takes up huge amounts of precious desk real estate. :(

I wondered whether I could get an off the shelf stand to stand it on its side, but that would make it 440mm high and only 105mm wide - not the most stable configuration. Bolting it to the side of the desk seemed safer, which led me to researching what's available off the shelf, the results of which impressed me enough to make this post. ;)

The gadget is called a "CPU holder" (try to forget what CPU stands for). Typically, it is fastened to the underside of a desk, is adjustable for different sized cases, and may grip the PC with either a full metal frame or just two straps. I've noticed that many appear to be made by Modern Solid and sold under various brands.

Nothing special so far, although consider that a PC up off the floor will no longer be kicked 20 times a day, may not suck up quite as much dust and allow the floor underneath to be swept or vacuumed regularly. And alternatively it's not taking up desk surface if it's below it.

The cool thing I found is that some of them swivel so you can easily get at the rear ports. To do that on top of a desk, you'd need a ridiculously large turntable. The Modern Solid ones also glide in and out on a track, so you can push the PC all the way in to keep it away from your knees, pull it out a little to access the USB ports or DVD, and pull it out all the way and turn it to access the rear ports.

No more groveling under desks!!! No more back-breaking leaning over a desk trying to plug in demonically-designed USB cables. Every paying client should have them.

Demo 1

Demo 2

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Cable Safe might interest a few people here.

cable-safe-p-cm.jpg

Sol

Storage is cool
Those demos don't strike me as things you could do to a PC that was actually plugged in...

Or maybe I was just unsuccessful at forgetting what CPU stands for and am looking for excuses to hate the product...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's ok for an office computer, but since the top is obstructed, you cannot use it for one of those cases with a top exhaust fan. So it's not for a box that needs to remove a lot of hot air.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And the cable management kit would be neat if I would care about this. If I ever put a woman in the house, I'll consider it, but that's a very big IF.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That might be of some use if one does not move devices around frequently.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When I try to be tidy about cabling, I use binder clips. They're cheap and come in different sizes for different tasks.