Too much news is like not enough

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So yesterday, NVidia launched the GeFarce 5900 Ultra based on the NV35 GPU and you can read reviews on it at many hardware-dedicated web sites like X-bit labs and Anandtech. According to what I saw on it, it is even faster than ATI's Radeon 9800, therefore making it the fastest gaming graphic card currently available.

Also yesterday, Intel announced it found a glitch in the Itanium II design that might cause system crashes under certain rare circumstances. The problem seems only to occur when the processor is operating at relatively (for an Itanium II) high clock rates.

And today, AMD released its 400MHz FSB Athlon XP 3200+ desktop processor. The first review I spot about it is again the one of the russian guys. Tech-report reviewed it too.

Other light news that pop in the last few days include the price cut of the middle-range Pentium 4 CPUs by Intel in order not to be too outrageously expensive compared to comparatively rated Athlon XP and the rumor that IBM is building a fab just for AMD for the lesser-than-100nm processes.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Yeah... There seems to be no end...

Next: VIA, SiS and nVidia all release 400 MHz FSB compatible chipsets, to support the released 3200+.

Jan

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Where are the larger PC3200 memory modules? 512MB modules are rather useless for my needs.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
LunarMist said:
Where are the larger PC3200 memory modules? 512MB modules are rather useless for my needs.

I just bought 2 256MB PC2100 modules, and was thinking about how long they would serve my needs... In a few years they'll probably be the equivalent of what 32MB PC100 sticks are today.

LunarMist

In the past five years I progressed from 384MB in 1998 (a lot of RAM at the time), 512-768MB in 1999, 1.5GB in 2000 and then to 2GB in 2002. RAM capacity is not keeping pace with other computer improvements.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
LunarMist said:
In the past five years I progressed from 384MB in 1998 (a lot of RAM at the time), 512-768MB in 1999, 1.5GB in 2000 and then to 2GB in 2002. RAM capacity is not keeping pace with other computer improvements.

I assume RAM capacity increases more with with need than just with the common pace of everything else.

Most people don't need 1GB of RAM.. I think the people here would agree 512MB is generous for most peoples' needs.

If there was a requirement for more RAM then we would be seeing it.. this is why we're seeing the Opteron on the server side, because there is a real need for greater than 4GB of RAM in some servers. But personally, I don't see anyone else complaining that they can't get more than 2GB of RAM into their PC.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
LunarMist said:
Where are the larger PC3200 memory modules? 512MB modules are rather useless for my needs
The cost of a single 512Mbit (64x8) chip is still very costly. Slapping 16 of those on a DIMM would be one very costly upgrade.

CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
BTW, Lunar, what tasks are you doing that you require so much RAM - Graphics?

CK

LunarMist

blakerwry said:
Lunar mist will be happy to know that both these boards support 3GB of DDR.
But I want a board that supports at least 3 GB of DDR 400. ;)