Toshiba, Realtek and Microsoft shit eaters.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a crappy Toshiba Satellite A210 here in which I had to replace the hard drive because the old one had many bad sectors. The old installation was screwed and even if it wasn't, I couldn't copy it to the new hard drive because of the numerous bad sectors. There's only a Vista Home Premium licence on it.

I first installed Vista 64bits on it. At the end of the installation, there were several missing drivers (not found after a trip to Windows Update either). so I visited Toshiba's web site, only to find ou that they only provide drivers for Vista's 32bits version. Bastards. That wouldn't be that much of a problem, but their application for the integrated webcam also is 32bits only. Screw them.

I restarted the OS installation, this time with the shitty 32bits version. Then I revisited Toshiba's web site. One of the missing drivers is the integrated wireless card. The link to the Realtek driver is a dead link (404 not found). I'm pissed. I went to Realtek's web site. Since Toshiba's doesn't tell anywhere which Realtek wireless chip they use, I had to download all of their f**king drivers and try them. Problem is, only two of the links to download the drivers are good. All the others are broken links. Bunch of shit eaters!!!

Oh and something else : the install disk I currently have for Vista 32 bits version doesn't include any service pack. That's my fault for not taking the time to download a more recent version. What's not my fault is that Windows Update wants you to first download 83 damn updates before proposing you to download the first service pack. Then, it wants you to do two rounds of updates before proposing the second service pack. That's not the end of it, there are still another two, if not three update rounds before you're done. On a shitty laptop like this one, we're talking about 6 hours of updates. Luckily, I installed the service packs by myself without passing thru Windows Update. But I imagine the pain that a user must go thru after an installation with his original installation disk. That's utterly unacceptable. There's no reason why they don't start by the two service packs when you first connect to Windows Update. That's a big fat FY to all the unfortunate customers who had to buy a computer with their horrible OS during the two years and a half they offered nothing else. Not only should they refund each and every one of them, but they should pay punitive damages too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had problems getting proper drivers from Toshiba's web site for years, Coug, but in that regard at least they aren't Acer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Even trying to find the driver with a disk containing driver packs from www.driverpacks.net isn't working. I simply have no way of installing that damn wireless network card. Very professional, Toshiba. Great customer support.

I'll please myself tomorrow and make sure the first customer support ass hole in there has a miserable day at work.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I've had problems getting proper drivers from Toshiba's web site for years, Coug, but in that regard at least they aren't Acer.

Acer notebooks are awesome. Still have one where the SD card slot does not work due to the cruddy driver.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Don't happen to have the Vendor ID and Product IDs handy of the devices that you are missing drivers for?

(Into the properties of the missing devices, and on the last tab will be the info).

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Even trying to find the driver with a disk containing driver packs from www.driverpacks.net isn't working. I simply have no way of installing that damn wireless network card. Very professional, Toshiba. Great customer support.

If you can't get it from MS updates I don't know where you can get it from barring Chewy's manual method isn't helpful.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Don't happen to have the Vendor ID and Product IDs handy of the devices that you are missing drivers for?
I ended up searching the product ID in Google and finally found the driver online. The installer failled, but I was able to push the driver down Windows' throat manually. Thanks for bringing this back to my memory.

Stereodude

Not really a
I reinstalled my Acer Timeline 1810T from scratch with Windows 7 and Acer had all the drivers nicely organized and available on their website. :confused: