Treo 700w as a car computer?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been looking at a Treo 700w, primarily for it's ability to integrate with outlook, but I'm also exploring other purposes. It seems I'm always picking up new clients in hard-to-reach locations, or driving up to the bay area to dance. I've found this nifty GPS unit with a Bluetooth reciever. Of course it can play MP3s and it has a touch screen. It'd be better if it supported the diagnostic connection to the car, but it looks pretty good. Thoughts?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Samsung's got a pretty nice phone in the same space. It has built in 802.11 and a fairly impressive camera builtin, but the battery life is crappy.

The more interesting issue is, how would you really use it in a car? Aren't front-seat mounts for those things illegal?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi David

Try going here

http://www.traffic.com/index.html

and setup your highway routes, and alerts. I think you can get on the net
with your current phone, anyway. With that, you can check at anytime, what the freeways are doing. I've found if I check the freeways at departure, it elimenates about 95% of my wasted time, on the freeways.

Can't you use mapquest for directions, and couldn't you run this off your phone, or PDA? I know with my OLD Palm Pilot VII, I can setup to hotsync instructions for mapquest.

Also, what about just using a light laptop, with the GPS setup, if you are really intense on doing it?

When you add up the price of the GPS system, and the Treo, you could just buy a GPS system, and it would be much neater, less wires, and mount on the dash.

S

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
I've been looking at a Treo 700w, primarily for it's ability to integrate with outlook, but I'm also exploring other purposes. It seems I'm always picking up new clients in hard-to-reach locations, or driving up to the bay area to dance. I've found this nifty GPS unit with a Bluetooth reciever. Of course it can play MP3s and it has a touch screen. It'd be better if it supported the diagnostic connection to the car, but it looks pretty good. Thoughts?

A friend of mine has the TomTom GPS Bluetooth version running in conjunction with his Treo 650, and a 1GB SD card. Personally I find the screen to be a little small for car navigation purposes.