Trouble installing realtek sound drivers

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Working on a computer with sound driver issues. I tinkered with it (installing and uninstalling various drivers) to the point where it doesn't show up with any errors in device manager (this is XP), but the sound device does not work and isn't recognized. It's a realtek HD card (ALC880) and any driver I attempt to install, it fails. I tried to uninstall the "unknown device", but that also fails. Even in safemode and using devcon remove from command line. I think if I could get it to remove I might be able to install the drivers properly. But I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IIRC there's a cleanup procedure for that. It comes from installing the drivers out of order from a Windows update that enables support for multichannel audio. You have to manually delete files and registry entries so things can install properly.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Cool. So I haven't had a chance to actually dig into the registry and stuff yet, but is there a "howto" deal for that or is it something I'll have to figure out?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It took me about 45 minutes to figure out the whole stupid mess once I started working on it. I've only seen it once.