Troubleshooting beep codes...

ddrueding

Fixture
...not a happy camper.

I'm working on an ECS K7VMM Rev. 1.2A. Then this system came in it ran fine, except in high-end (3D accelerated) games. After trying all the software stuff, I crack the case and find a whole load of dust and a failing GPU fan. The video card is too hot to touch.

So I dismantle the system and unload a few cans of air into it. After I get it back together, there is no screen at all, just 3 long beeps followed by pause. This repeats ad infinitum.

Looking at AMI's doc referencing beep codes points me to a "base memory error". So I replace the DIMM with another crucial right out of the box. No luck. This board supports both DDR and SDR and neither work.

Help?

ddrueding

Fixture
I also have tried resetting the BIOS to no avail.

Right now the only things hooked up are the CPU, RAM (known good), PC Speaker, and the Power Supply. Nothing else is connected at all.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Do you have the motherboards manual so that you can verify that the beep code is memory? (Didn't check that AMI link, I just assume it's some generic AMI beep code, therefore the extra check came to mind...)

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't have the manual itself, but I will be looking through their website in a minute.

BTW, I just checked the origial CPU (2000+) in another system (A7N8X Deluxe) and it worked fine.

Not boding well for the motherboard...I wonder how I could have killed it :(

ddrueding

Fixture
Grrr

BIOS has been reset a whole lotta times, the caps look ok, I can't tell if SPD is in use as it won't POST. The fan is connected and runs properly.

I just pulled the only other Mobo I have that supports SDR out of the parts bin...same issue :eekers:

F**k it...I'm going to kill some people online then go to sleep.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't know if this will help, but my Asus MB uses an AMI BIOS and three beeps is: "Main Memory read/write test error".

Bozo :mrgrn: