Truly Annoying Xmas Music

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OK. I'm not a christian, so to a certain extent the fact that 45 days out of the year I have to be subjected to religious music is slightly annoying.

But I'm also a musician, and there is good christmas music in the world, and today at the video store I had the unfortunate experience of hearing twenty minutes of the most saccharine music I've ever heard.

No wonder there are so many suicides at Christmas time... they're probably all retail clerks forced to deal with hours of harried, annoyed customers and music fit only to sterilize goats.

So, in the spirit of the season, I'd like to offer a few of what I believe to be the worst in holiday music:

1. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
2. Feliz Navidad
3. Christmas Wrapping (by "The Waitresses", all-girl 80s punk band - it's in rotation at my video store)
4. Little Drummer Boy
5. Holly Jolly Christmas

I hope to add to my list as I find more annoying Christmas music. Feel free to add your own, or defend a title I have slandered.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
"Grandma got run over by a Reindeer" would be my all-time most despised Christmas song. That one not worthy of your top-5 Mercutio?

SteveC

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
2. Feliz Navidad
Supposedly, I'm distantly related to José Feliciano. :roll:

I don't find the Christmas music nearly as annoying as the TV specials, but I avoid listening to the radio as much as I can.

Handruin

Administrator
p_weekly_logo_main.gif

:mrgrn:

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Holly Jolly Christmas takes my vote as the worst.

I would think that the more traditional songs might get it easier because they are more likely to have various versions.

For instance, I have listened to a particular version of Drummer Boy for so long I can't remember a version I don't like.

It also helps to like lyrics.

The Giver

Learning Storage Performance
Fushigi said:
Mercutio said:
2. Feliz Navidad
Do what I do; create your own parody a la Wierd Al and sing it instead. Fleas on the Dog, anyone?
"Feliz Navidad" = "My eyesight is bad"?

[The Giver runs for cover...]

The Giver

P.S. - "HAPPY X-MAS (war is over)" Should have been buried with John Lennon.

The Grammar Police

Hmmm... I avoid commercial radio like poison, and stay out of shops and public places as far as possible. But last week or the week before - late November, I think it was - I was assulted by the sound of a brass band walking around the district and playing the usual horrible crap. I assume they were collecting money for some worthy cause. They were atrocious! Not just the usual predictable arrangements of the usual predictable tunes, but mistakes aplenty. I don't think a single musical phrase escaped mutilation. I spent some time wondering if the butchery was a positive thing (at least adding something of ... er "interest" is not the word I want... to the horribly predictable), or served only to multiply the torture. I made myself scarce, and bitterly regretted not having the lawn mower conveniently nearby.

A little later, it occurred to me that I could have gone over and offered them some money to play somewhere else, or possibly just go home and try sticking trombones in places mother never thought of, but I guess that would have just encouraged them.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
What about that one with the dogs barking out Jingle Bells. God that is freaking annoying.

C

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I like some of the more traditional Christmas music (e.g. Silent Night, Drummer Boy) but I was subject to "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" today on-hold, and it was quite annoying to me.

There is a version of "Mr. Grinch" by Sixpence None The Richer that I like.

The rest stink, stank, stunk. :D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Here, New Year's music is even more annoying than Christmas' music. That is why today I barricaded myself inside with no plan to open TV (except to watch some financial news) or have any contacts with the outside world except through the internet (where there's no New Year's retarded music).