Two headed hard disk

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Pointless? not sure.
To make any sense I think the separate head circuitry gives two separate interfaces. One is hooked up to an admin machine. The other is hooked up to the server itself. The question then becomes, doesn't IIS need to write some stuff?

Say the server got hacked. The hacker couldn't write to the disk. Big whoop you say, just hack IIS to serve from a memory partition you create.

All in all, technical details are sparse.

I think to do this right you need a server built from the inside out as read-only, from the memory system to the storage subsystem.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Good point Will. Plus, some hacks are just reads, such as confidential information (e.g. credit cards, employer data, social security data).

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Buck said:
Good point Will. Plus, some hacks are just reads, such as confidential information (e.g. credit cards, employer data, social security data).

It would be just as good not to meantion cheaper to have the development machine not attached to the internet. Nightly file comparisons could be run against the internet available machine and restore modified files as necessary.