Ubuntu 5.10 released

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Not the release candidate, the official 5.10 is out. I tried Ubuntu once and I thought it had a clean layout. I'm no Linux expert, but Ubuntu seems to gather quite a lot of attention among the community.

Ubuntu 5.10 info.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ubuntu is Debian run by pragmatic individuals.
My main complaint with Debian is that the people who run it care more about ideology than building a working Linux distro. Since Debian is Linux-by-committee, updates come at a snail's pace.

Debian has one great thing going for it: apt. Apt is probably the best package management system available for Linux, nice enough that I've bolted it on to my RHEL and SuSE machines. Debian also tends to be better-supported for non-apt software installs than SuSE, which is certainly a point in its favor.

The people running Ubuntu have essentially forked from a Debian base. They keep apt. They use GNOME. This is a distro with its shit together. Mostly.
It still uses Debian's text-based installer. Not a problem for me, personally, but it's highly off-putting for a newbie.

My first experience with Ubuntu (on the previous release, called IIRC "Hoary Hedgehog") was on some REALLY vanilla hardware - XP2500s on SiS 748-based boards, Radeon 7000s, RTL8139A NICs. Either I completely missed an option someplace, or de-selected something I should have, 'cause when I set it up, it didn't install X. At all. On about five machines.

I don't know what the hell the deal with that was, but it was not a positive impression. I've since seen it running on other hardware, and been rather more impressed with it. I've been torrenting it for a couple hours, I see I have a couple to go. I'll probably give it another go sometime soon, since I have a Linux class starting up next week, anyway.