unable to get laptops to connect to MY wireless network

Adcadet

Storage Freak
hey crew,
my two wireless laptops connect just fine to some wireless network around my appartment called "MSHOME" (image that!). When I turn my wireless network on, I can't for the life of me figure out how to force either laptop to use MY network. Does anybody have a clue how to use WinXP and/or Intel ProSet on a Dell laptop to play with my network. I would like to know that I can connect to my personal network in addition to the other unsecured networks around here.

I'm using a Linksys router, enabled SSID broadcast, disabled WEP, and changed my channel to the non-standard 6.

ddrueding

Fixture
It sounds like you have everyhing set up correctly, but just in case I'd reset it do default everything...than everyone can connect.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
yes, I'm very much into MAC filtering and is largely the reason I'm not concerned about the lack of other security settings.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If you know the SSID, you don't need to broadcast it. It has no effect on your ability to connect unless your software doesn't allow manual entry. Of course, anyone war driving/flying/chalking will see it on a packet eventually as part of any comm sequence and it's never encrypted.

I usually disable WEP until I've got a working config and then add it in. Again, it's not much of a security measure, although it is better than nothing. Dynamic WEP is much better if you've got that capability (doubtful). WPA is somewhat better than dynamic WEP. The forthcoming 802.11i should finally offer a secure wireless environment, but you'll likely have to buy new hardware.

Using a different channel is a good idea, although more for signal interference reasons than security. There's no additional security from it.

MAC filtering will slow down a hacker momentarily. Just until there's some data flowing and he sees a MAC he can code his device to. Still, it's better than nothing and will deter the casual person just looking for free access and not trying too hard.

Besure to walk around your area and look for warchalking symbols on occasion. If you see one with your SSID, you've been found out. :) And, of course, check the logs on all machines and the router on occasion.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet said:
yes, I'm very much into MAC filtering and is largely the reason I'm not concerned about the lack of other security settings.

MAC filtering is really fairly easy to defeat. The hacker only needs to see enough traffic to determine the client's address and clone it to his.

Of course, when two computers with the same MAC address try to use the network at the same time, interesting things can happen....

Adcadet

Storage Freak
my two laptops are now on my network. I can see them on my desktop PC, I can browse their shared stuff and dump files onto them. But they now can't get on the internet. I launch IE, and it 404's on me. I launch Moz, and same deal. If I join another wireless network and surf the web just fine.

uh . . . . nevermind. Apparently "filter" implies "filter out" and not "filter in". My bad. All better now.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
my school laptop has a great signal, reports a connection of 11 Mbps, and runs a speed test at about 1.3 Mbps (par for the course on my connection). My personal laptop shows a great connection strength as well, but only reports a connection of 1 Mbps and runs a speed test at 750 Kpbs. Why on earth would it be limited to 1 Mbps?

ddrueding

Fixture
Figured this was a fine place to put this.

WAPs.png

This was gotten from my GF's bedroom in the hills over San Jose. No special antennas, just the laptop's built-in WiFi.[/img]