Update to RH 7.3

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi all!

Just updated my main system from RH 7.2 + all updates to RH 7.3+ all updates.

Everything has gone well so for, except that I had to do a make mrproper, copy the .config file, make menuconfig and save and then a make dep to get all things working. This because I updates the kernel with the up2date utility.

Updated to the latest nvidia drivers and everything seems fine so far.

KDE looks better, that's about everything I have had time to check /use so far :)

Once again, the upgrade was very smooth and problem free. I've done RH upgrades using some 5.x and 6.x versions and never had problems yet.
Just wanted to tell all that if you are thinking about upgrading, just do it! :) (no, this is not a Nike commercial....)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
A friend of mine hosed his system with the RedHat 7.3 upgrade, but I don't know if he was already on 7.2 or an older version. It's probably specific to stuff he had, but I felt the need to inject a note of caution into this Nike commercial. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
RedHat upgrades are fairly notorious for doing that, in fact.

And redhat's x.0 releases are usually a bit buggy, too. .2s and .3s are much better places to be if you can't handle all the package management on your own.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
What kind of hosing? Could you be a bit more specific?

Just out for curiosity, as I've done close to 30 upgrades with different versions and not had problems.

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
The JoJo said:
What kind of hosing? Could you be a bit more specific?
In one of the more extreme cases I've seen, all the X11 programs were outputting garbled unreadable text and things like that. My experience is that usually the upgrades go well (especially when upgrading to 7.3, as opposed to upgrading to prior releases), but once in a while something will go wrong and thIngs just simply won't work right...