UPS software

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have multiple computers connected to a single UPS. The UPS's serial cable is connected to only one of the computers. Is there software built into Win 2000 Pro that will send a message to the other computers to shutdown during a power failure? When I looked in 'Help' nothing came up.
Is there third party software that will do this?

Thanks,

Bozo :D

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
APC used to make a box that does it called a UPS interface expander that connected multiple machines to one UPS (I have one that I don't use). This was specific to APC Smart-ups though.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Bozo said:
I have multiple computers connected to a single UPS. The UPS's serial cable is connected to only one of the computers. Is there software built into Win 2000 Pro that will send a message to the other computers to shutdown during a power failure? When I looked in 'Help' nothing came up.
Is there third party software that will do this?

Thanks,

The software should come with the UPS. I use OPTI-UPS and have four machines beyond the directly connected machine that will shutdown. The machines communicate over SNMP.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Only the more capable UPS software will permit broadcasting of power failure via SNMP etc. The basic PowerChute program included with most APC low-end UPS' won't. Perhaps PowerChute Pro or similar.

mangyDOG

Learning Storage Performance
What brand and model UPS? I use a Sola325/1000 running both my server and one of my work stations, the other workstations are on very simple Sola 305's.

With the 325 when the power goes out, the server is able to signal all the workstations via standard tcp/ip network to shutdown. The software I use is the standard sola stuff. It used to be a free download but now you have to register. If you want to try a copy e-mail me...

Info on the software is at: http://www.solaaust.com.au

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently there is a 'shutdown.exe' file on the CD. (I'm at home, the Resource Kit is at work)
I searched Google for 'remote shutdown' and found a link to a short explanation and some command line switches. (link is also at work)
The plan is: write a small batch file on the PC that is attached to the UPS serial port that will execute the 'shutdown.exe' file on other PCs attached to the same UPS. But it will have to wait until I return to work.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
The high-end UPS units that I use have the ability to communicate with multilple hosts. In other words, one UPS can provide backup power to several CPUs and also communicate with all of them via RS-232.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
.NUT: The APC UPS systems we have also have that capability. But, you must buy additional hardware and/or software.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Bozo said:
.NUT: The APC UPS systems we have also have that capability. But, you must buy additional hardware and/or software.

If someone wanted to do the same thing but did not have access to the RK they could use psshutdown from pstools. It looks to have the same syntax even.