USB 3.0 Portable

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm looking for an inexpensive USB 3 setup for 2.5" hard drives, i.e., a PCIe 1x card and enclosure. Are any of them decent? I'm tired of hauling 1-2TB 3.5" drives in a bag or car all day, yet USB 2 is too slow for the routine backups. Thanks.:cyclop:

LunarMist

The problem with that is eSATA does not supply power. I think they require UBS also in that case.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have tried ESATA for file transfer and it is faster than USB. My problem was the OS being picky about making them hot-swapable.
When attached as USB, there were no issues with hot-swapping.
I even tried the 'Hotswap' utility.

LunarMist

I have tried ESATA for file transfer and it is faster than USB. My problem was the OS being picky about making them hot-swapable.
When attached as USB, there were no issues with hot-swapping.
I even tried the 'Hotswap' utility.

That is not an issue. There is an eSATA 2-slot toaster connected to one of the hot swap ports. I'm not sure which of four controllers it is on, but at least eight ports in total are used for swappable drives. The 6 ICH ports are for permanently powered devices, including 2 boot SSDs, optical drives, etc.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't had any issues with the Hotswap utility not being able to stop eSATA drives. What problem did you encounter?

The drives never spun down. When I removed them they were still spinning. The new toaster I have has a power button for each hard drive.

The motherboards I have are a few years old and don't have dedicated eSATA ports. This could be another problem.

LunarMist

These are all reasons to use USB 3, besides the little issue of power. :)

I could use 2.5" drives in a toaster, but I know of no suitable storage containers for bare drives.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've never waited for drives to spin down, I didn't even know they were supposed to until power was disconnected.
They definitely spin down and park the heads if you use the Hotswap! utility to "eject" them. It will give you a popup in the system tray when it's safe to eject the drive.