USB 3.0 spec in the works

Handruin

Administrator
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9780794-7.html

SAN FRANCISCO--Intel and others plan to release a new version of the ubiquitous Universal Serial Bus technology in the first half of 2008, a revamp the chipmaker said will make data transfer rates more than 10 times as fast by adding fiber-optic links alongside the traditional copper wires.

Could be interesting once they release the spec for the maximum length of cables. Longer fiber runs would be the only reason I can see for using optical fiber over copper. Otherwise the increased data rates and greater energy efficiency seem nice.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Speed is good, but I wish they'd take some time to reduce CPU overhead instead. Plus, I have a feeling that the market will prefer Wireless USB over greater speed.

Handruin

Administrator
With so many cores, I guess it's a moot point over CPU overhead, but I agree, that should be considered. With higher energy efficiency, they may rely on the system CPU more than before (just a WAG)?

I would have thought bluetooth owned the short-range wireless market...I admit I've not even researched wireless USB at all, I've only heard the name.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Short range wireless now includes devices that can transmit HD video over wireless. Far more performance than USB3, generally to avoid wire clutter in home theatres.

Handruin

Administrator
My understanding is that it would be 4.8 Gb/s for both, but I may be wrong here. If not then I assume the wired connection is only for backward compatibility.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Looks like 2010 at the earliest, assuming all agree on the specs tout sweet.

http://blogs.intel.com/research/2007/10/usb_30_rocket_fast_file_transf.html

At least according to Jeff Ravencraft who is a technology strategist in Intel’s Communication Technology Lab-Chairman and President of the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) industry group, Chairman of the Wireless USB Promoters group, and also serves as the USB 3.0 Promoter group chairman.