USB Network Print Servers

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm interested in a Network Printer Server for my printer. The printer is USB and I would prefer wired RJ45 ethernet. I see Newegg sells 21 devices that fit my requirements ranging in price from ~$40 to >$320.

Has anyone tried a Network Print Server and have any suggestions / advice?

Stereodude

Not really a
I tried a few years ago. They were so much trouble that I've since just bought printers with network capability in them.
I saw several comments along the same lines in the reviews of several of the devices over at Newegg. Maybe that's a better idea since I could use a low cost B&W networked laser instead.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm currently using a Linksys device over wireless and USB very successfully to a small B&W laser printer. I think it's the only one they have but I can't get to the model number right now. It also has an ethernet port.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Until I switched to a printer with ethernet (which is the better choice, in my opinion), I used my NAS as a print server. That does, however, require that the two devices be close enough to connect with a cable.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've used several parallel port based Intel and HP JetDirect print servers without issue.

Common advice is to use a printer with its own CPU - basically any laser with PS support. I've heard that inkjets commonly don't work, but maybe the print servers have gotten better in this regard, esp if you pair the manufacturer of the server with that of the printer - it should at least provide a compatibility list.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
GDI printers have actually crept in to laser printing, so unfortunately you aren't always
safe with laser printers any more, either.

Are there any modern postscript printers that don't have LAN functions built in?