VHS to DVR

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Hey everybody . . .
I'm looking for a decent DVR. One that I can record HDTV (multiple channels would be nice), and also be able to record VHS tapes to DVD or mpeg. And can maybe make DVDs out of mpegs. I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for, as I know next to nothing about them. Any ideas?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Please excuse SD. In case you haven't read recent news, there is a social disease that is sweeping the internet, has reached near pandemic proportions called 'twitteritis'. It is obvious from SD's recent posts, as well as others here on SF, they are infected with this serious social disease :p.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you, interested in similar needs. If you find a good solution, please post it up. There is of course more than one route to achieve your goals.

You could search over on the mother of all audio-video forums or ask your question there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Stereodude

Not really a
Please excuse SD. In case you haven't read recent news, there is a social disease that is sweeping the internet, has reached near pandemic proportions called 'twitteritis'. It is obvious from SD's recent posts, as well as others here on SF, they are infected with this serious social disease :p.
Blah, Blah, Blah...

There are exactly TWO non TIVO dual tuner HDTV DVR solutions on the market. The DTVpal DVR and the Moxi.

The only single device that's going to do what he wants it a PC with a dual ATSC / QAM tuner, DVD burner, and a capture card.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Not dual-tuner, but I picked up one of these recently. I haven't played with it much other than to set it up. Ran $40 after rebate. I don't really care to have a TV tuner on the PC but I wanted some thing that would let me rip my aging VHS, S-VHS, and LaserDisc source material to the PC. For that purpose, this is pretty simple. Post-capture you can insert chapter stops and burn to DVD.

RWIndiana

Perhaps just a DVD-R with VHS and a dubbing feature would best suit my needs. Or maybe the one Fushigi mentioned. Hmm I don't know. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Those thingies you're talking about make DVD-VRs, which give about 95% of computer players or editing applications fits.

DVD players are better but a lot of them glitch in playing back DVD-VRs as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a Toshiba D-VR660KU. I've only used it twice, but it worked fine both times. The dubbing is at real-time speed, and finalizing the disk afterward took forever, but I was then able to rip the video using AutoGK and play it with MPC without issue.

Keep in mind, I haven't tried anything tricky. Just getting the video onto the disk and playing/ripping it.

RWIndiana

Those thingies you're talking about make DVD-VRs, which give about 95% of computer players or editing applications fits.

DVD players are better but a lot of them glitch in playing back DVD-VRs as well.

We have a DVD recorder which we copied some old home movies to DVD with (rather complicated though which is why I'm looking for something else), and I noticed that it does hang in the middle of the recording when playing on the computer, but it's fine on a regular DVD player. So how can I avoid this?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have an older, discontinued Panasonic that works very well. I must have burned hundreds of DVDs of all sorts and they play in everything. I copied over all the old home videos from 25-30 years ago.