VIA Hyperion 4.50 released

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Me just want to mention that Hyperion 4.50 was withdrawn soon after release because of issues with (or so did I heard) ATI's Catalyst driver.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The release notes for 4.51 show the same version for all components at 4.50, but gives note of, "Fixed the issue of the Delayed Write Failed only for special condition"

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
anybody actually install this junk? last time I did I had to run system restore because of choppiness after alt-tabbing in/out of 3D games and no improvements in speed anywhere

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This is not junk and I do install it on every system I build with a VIA chipset. It's been a while since last time I've had a problem with the 4in1 driver.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've pretty much always installed it. Including the IDE driver. I'm working from the assumption that if Microsoft's generic driver were truly worthwhile for VIA chipsets, VIA wouldn't provide their own. SiS doesn't for most of its chipsets.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The installations always go ok, but I've never noticed a speed improvement and have noticed "weird" choppiness or slowdowns or isntability under certain conditions.

I've only installed them on kt266/266a boards. I found winXP ran fine without them and didnt need the 4-in-1's to install anything properly so I don't install them anymore and I usually recomend against installing them if you use winXP.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hey Coug, guess what?

I made a restore point and a backup and installed the 4-in-1's... system runs fine (no noticable speed difference), but I can now put the system into S3 (suspend to RAM).

I've never had good luck with power on standby, but suspent to RAM has never before worked.

I'm glad I installed them.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The 4in1 doesn't improve performances much (except for some of the early Hyperion that boosted the AGP performances by some 4-6%), but it adds features that would otherwise be disabled or crippled. You can live without it, but I prefer to put the 4in1 and have access to all the features of my motherboard.