VIA KT600 faster than nForce2 according to [H]ard|OCP.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In their review of the Athlon XP 3200+, they also pitted a reference board from VIA using their upcoming KT600 cheapset against a new nForce2 400 Ultra by Asus and the outcome isn't what you would expect. The KT600, despite being a single-memory-channel design, defeated the new revision of the nForce2 board in most of the gaming benchmarks.

You can read the whole article here.

Personally, I don't know much Hard OCP so I don't know if I should believe these results or not. They don't seem to be as rigourous as some other sites, but it's good to see some results anyway.

Mercutio and the "T" regiment will be happy.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have military forces at my disposal and no one informed me!?! Why, this could completely change my plans for Dresden! Assemble this regiment, that I may inspect them!

I do hope they're light cavalry. The pikemen and arquebussiers are in desperate need of additional flankers...

zx

Learning Storage Performance
There may be good years (months?) coming for VIA. Their product's quality seemed to improve (and their reputation) and if they have the performance crown, it will help them get more market shares.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
I have military forces at my disposal and no one informed me!?! Why, this could completely change my plans for Dresden! Assemble this regiment, that I may inspect them!

I do hope they're light cavalry. The pikemen and arquebussiers are in desperate need of additional flankers...

Somehow I don't think the "T" regiment is at your disposal. Maybe they can be coaxed into being merceneries if you give them a good cause.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Oh, great, just when I got my Nforce2 motherboard, VIA jumps ahead.

I like the fact that the vt600 chipset has separate native support for both 4 parallel ATA devices and 4 serial ones (and RAID 0, 1 and 0+1). Possibly eliminating the need for a PCI ATA card.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Oh, great, just when I got my Nforce2 motherboard, VIA jumps ahead.

I like the fact that the vt600 chipset has separate native support for both 4 parallel ATA devices and 4 serial ones (and RAID 0, 1 and 0+1). Possibly eliminating the need for a PCI ATA card.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Now that I've found that my plans for Dresden have been thwarted (for now), it might be wise to point out that there's no frickin' way that you're going to be able to tell the difference between KT400A, nforce2, or KT600 in normal operation.
Why worry about it? I thought we stopped worrying about motherboard performance ages ago.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I want to see features damn it! Not no stinking one percent, two percent upmanship arms race.

I'm actually a little dissapointed with the "new" Nforce2 revisions. Somehow I was under the impression that they were also releasing a new variant of the MPC that would have brought in native SATA support. Oh well, not that I really care too much.

CK