Video Capture Card & SW?

ddrueding

Fixture
Small retail store w/2 computer-driven registers. I'm looking for a card and software to put in one of the machines that will capture video and serve it via web interface.

Suggestions on brand, e-tailor, or anything else welcome.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's not something I deal with, but I'm told Dlink has some pretty nice networked cameras. Some of them output MPEG4 or even .3GP; there's probably a streaming solution for those formats someplace.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks Merc. I'm not very familiar with this stuff, either.

I've done networked cameras, but this place needs multiple cameras (I think they've settled on 4). I can either get 4 expensive IP cameras and have them log on to them independently, or have 4 "dumb" cameras hooked up to a capture card in an existing PC that saves the video locally and provides a web interface.

Reading my OP I realized I didn't make that clear at all. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I've played with SkyView DVR/CCTV stuff before, and all the mid-range and up offer both Windows Application and Web based access to the footage, as well as time based recording, time lapse, motion sense recording, etc. You just need the storage space for the footage, (all the ones I've used just had 100GB ATA drives for footage, but this was when 200GB was cutting edge). All the kit I played with was basically a standard PC (in a 2RU case), with capture cards and their software. The killer in pricing was the individual cameras, not the software and capture cards.

www.ozspy.com.au does commercial installations here in Australia for lots of small shops, but unfortunately don't know of any equivalent in the US.