Video Noobie

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
What hardware and software do I need to take the images from a VHS recorder and put them on a PC? Then I would like to make still pictures from the VHS image.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How much money do you have?

I'd suggest a 64MB ATI 9200 VIVO, if you can find one. They were about $60 apiece but the supply died up about two weeks ago in the US.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Search Pricewatch for "ATI VIVO"; there's a ton of choices starting at $49. The real issues are, do you want a "built by ATI" card; do you want a retail version? Do you want a native DVI port on it (I would; and I mean a real DVI port, not a converter for the VGA port)?

Mercutio

The built-by-ATI cards have fans.

<boo hiss!!>

Sapphire has really taken a leadership position by offering even R300-based cards without 'em.

The other option is the good ol' bt8x8. Those have an advantage or two - support for dscaler if you're doing HTPC stuff, and of course they ARE cheap, but IMO the AIW/VIVO-type hardware makes for better caps.

If you want still pictures and nothing else, there's also the Snappy.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a similar question.

I already have an ATI AIW VE (PCI) that I want to throw in it's own machine and to VHS capture via S-Video/Stereo and convert to DVD.

What software should I be using to do:

Capture?
Encoding (MPEG-2)?
Authoring?
Burning?

Is there one app that will do all of this? Will WinXP Home be an acceptible OS?

The rest of the spec will be roughly identical to the one in my sig. Any comments on that?

Mercutio

If you can score a copy of Ulead MovieFactory, you can do all of the above with that. It's not an ideal solution, but it's not bad, either.

For AIW-type cards, I like capping with MMC directly and editing with vdub.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
What's the difference between VIVO and AIW cards? Why would you choose one over the other? :eek: Thanks!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The AIWs have TV-tuners, and the later models (7500 and up) have RF remotes, allowing you to basically use it like a Tivo and pause live TV, move the mouse, click etc. If you already have a tv tuner, have no need for one or the remote, then a VIVO will do just fine.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ddrueding said:
I have a similar question.

I already have an ATI AIW VE (PCI) that I want to throw in it's own machine and to VHS capture via S-Video/Stereo and convert to DVD.

What software should I be using to do:

Capture?
Encoding (MPEG-2)?
Authoring?
Burning?

Is there one app that will do all of this? Will WinXP Home be an acceptible OS?

Cap with HuffyUV in VirtualVCRmax.
Edit and apply filters with AVISynth and Virualdub
MPEG and DVD authouring with TMPG....not sure of the DVD part though cause I've never made one (but I'm sure Doom9 guides would be very helpful here)
Burn with burnatonce

Badda-bing, badda-boom, your done. :D Okay, I lie. Its actually a fairly steep learning curve.

CK

ddrueding

Fixture
Is MMC the app that comes with the AIW cards?

Is vDub and VirtualDub the same thing? I'll be checking out those apps and I'll get back to you.

I have Ulead MovieFactory, it came with something I've bought....

CityK, are the apps you referenced freely available?

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks guys, I already committed to dsoing the conversionds for a friend then realised I had no knowledge of how to go about it. :eekers:

It seems I get myself in these holes quite often...it's the best way to learn.

I really appreciate all the help.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Yup MMC is what comes with the AIWs, it can be dl'd from the ATI site. To setup an AIW, you need three sets of drivers, one is the device driver set that lets Windows know all the crap on the AIW, the second is the Catalyst drivers, and thirdly the MMC drivers.

ddrueding

Fixture
Pradeep said:
Yup MMC is what comes with the AIWs, it can be dl'd from the ATI site. To setup an AIW, you need three sets of drivers, one is the device driver set that lets Windows know all the crap on the AIW, the second is the Catalyst drivers, and thirdly the MMC drivers.

I'm having a hard time finding the right drivers for my AIW VE PCI 64M on the site, which AIW family is it a member of? I don't think the driver disk that came with it supports XP....

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ddrueding said:
CityK, are the apps you referenced freely available?
Yes, check the links. The possible exception might be the TMPG DVD authoring, as I've never authored a "home made movies" DVD. TMPG does, however, have a freeware MPG encoding. I would think that there would be other freeware (and possibly opensource) programs available specifically for DVD authouring too....that is why I suggested checking at Doom9 to see what might be recommended.

CK

Mercutio

ddrueding said:
I'm having a hard time finding the right drivers for my AIW VE PCI 64M on the site, which AIW family is it a member of? I don't think the driver disk that came with it supports XP....

Look under "TV Wonder".

Note: I wouldn't wish that card on Osama Bin Laden*

*"W" can have it, though.

If you're using ATI, there are compelling reasons to use MMC for capture, namely, support for Video Soap.

Mostly, I work in Virtualdubmod, cap with Huffyuv and send the output to Moviefactory (again, not my favorite app, but it seems to work better than Nero 6 or MyDVD).

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, it's working great so far. I've managed to cap using MMC and filtered using VDub (FlaXen filter). The DVD authoring I will do on another PC, this box doesn't have a burner capable of DVD+R (older set-top compatible).

Thanks for all the help!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Just a side note, I found i didnt have to install the catalyst drivers to use the AIW card, if not playing 3d games you can use the windows drivers instead. The MMC seems to work fine with them and I would consider them more stable than the catalyst drivers.