problem Video trouble on game computer

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Having trouble on my gaming computer. Started when I was playing games but progressed into presenting shortly after I booted to windows desktop. Basically after a while the screen just goes out and monitor says detecting signal, at the same time I can hear the video card fan ramp up and down a couple times. What I don't get is the BIOS settings warning that the computer locked up and changed back to defaults after I reset the computer.

I'm thinking video card, thoughts?

Gigabyte HD6950
Gigabyte X58A-UD5
Xeon W3530
G.Skill F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI XMS spec 1600
Corsair CMPSU-950TX

No overclock.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That does sound like video card in this case, but you might want to investigate a different display as well. My 27" Dell crapped out in a similar fashion.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well I should have mentioned that is on a KVM and the other two machines don't have that type of problem. What one dell laptop does have is a problem initially picking up video sometimes but never a problem maintaining it. I guess I could try it direct.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Thinking back over the last four gaming video cards I have had I believe this is the third that died on me. At least gigabyte is still in business though, powercolor and BFG went under when those cards died.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Gaming video cards are kind of like Italian sports cars, I think. They're awesome when they work, but it's just as likely that they'll suck and die.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Gigabyte sent an email a while back saying they received it but I got nothing saying they sent out a replacement. They don't appear to have a way to check RMA status on line either. Do they usually take a long time?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
My only RMA experience with GB in circa 2005 was bad. They just sent a flaky video card back saying nothing was wrong with it.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I did have to call them 4 weeks after sending it in to find out what was happening (apparently nothing), so requested that a replacement card be sent out immediately as waiting 4 weeks was certainly too long. Still took another 2 phone calls and another 2 weeks to get something out, but they did send out a brand new card as a replacement. This however was way back when ATi 9600XTs were still only weeks old...

My advise, if it's been over 2 weeks, call them to find out what is happening.