Videoconferencing?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Anybody here familiar with videoconferencing apps/hardware? With the new addition to my family coming soon, I have relatives across the country who want to be able to chat online for free, preferably with video. Luckily, everybody has broadband. Any suggestions regarding where to start?

ddrueding

Fixture
Skype. I shipped a few netbooks to relatives in Russia with Skype in the startup menu and pre-configured user accounts. These people have never owned computers before, and required 30 seconds of instruction. Super easy, super common, and free.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I do some work with Polycom telepresence systems. They're really, really nice if you want to put something together that's more serious than a $60 webcam and a copy of Skype. Entry-level camera setups are maybe $1000 but Ebay has them for more like $300.

On the other hand, a $60 webcam can look really good these days.

Sol

Storage is cool
Personally I use Skype, it's just easier to set up, especially when you're not physically at all the sites.

Other solutions give you conferencing with video but are more of a pain to set up, and more trouble to fix if something goes wrong.

When you're buying web-cams make sure you get at least 1.3MP cameras. In my experience 0.3MP web-cams have serious issues in low light. And if you want to save some cash look out for the Playstation Eye camera. It sometimes gets bundled with PS3 games for less than the cost of just the camera and it makes a great web-cam (Although it's not compatible with Skype on Linux because it uses a different colour space. It's fine on Windows or OSX though).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Recently set this up, not a conference, but Skype, with GF. Bought a Logitech
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/6333
9000. Looks expensive, but, the Zeiss optics sold me, and, they are VERY clear.
On top of that, the included microphone works great as well.

I have, however, found the worst possible software for 7 Ultimate. On The Beast it took FOREVER to install, something NOTHING ELSE DOES ANYMORE.

The mic is so good it picked up the cat bells, and my fart in the other room, literally.Resolution is Excellent, and top setting is pretty neat, 1200 something.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Guys:
It was pretty amazing. The camera is on the top of the computer, I was walking to the bathroom, off picture, to take care of business. Through a pair of sweatpants, and more on the silent-but deadly side, NOT the rattle the rafters type. I was AMAZED she heard it...