Virtualization test server

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I need to build a test server for server virtualization products. For production use I would buy something off the shelf but I need to keep costs down for this one.

I would love an IBM T60/T60p but when compared to a Dell Optiplex GX745 I can't justify the cost difference.

My other alternative is to get all the parts and put them into a case I have. But, I am so out of it with the details of parts these days I'm having difficulty.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm actually spec'ing a new VM server right now ;)

I assume that you will be testing multiple VMs on the same physical machine? In my experience, you run out of RAM way before anything else. A basic system with a Q6600 and 8-16GB of RAM should be able to manage a mess of machines. If there is some intense I/O going on, I'd recommend seperate drives to split the VMs across, maybe even some Velociraptors or Intel X25s. What is your load going to be? Or are you just testing functionality?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It is just a proof of concept. Five servers with almost no load. I could do it on my T43 laptop except that I need VT. I could get by with 4G ram.

I'm trying to keep it under $400.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Any idea how big a power supply I would need for:

MSI K8N SLI + 1.5GB RAM + AMD ATHLON X2 3800+
Leadtek PX7800GT Extreme TDH GeForce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI

Plus a couple of drives in raid 1 and memory increased to 4G

I have a 300W I'd like to use if I can get away with it. This specific video card is replaceable because it's a server.

ps. I would consider a larger one that would cover a Q6600 if I can stomach the cost.
pps. I picked up the capital text for $110. Not bad I think.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Will I need special connectors from the power supply? I see a square 4-pin header on the picture of the board as well as 4-pin molex header.

ddrueding

Fixture
All I see is a standard Molex, which I never used on this board. I built a dozen or so of these back in the day. IIRC, it is an alternative to the 4-pin ATX 12v.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Will I need special connectors from the power supply? I see a square 4-pin header on the picture of the board as well as 4-pin molex header.

Most power supplies built in the last few years have the 4 pin square connector on them. I believe they were required when the Pentium 4 came out.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
May I ask why you would put a fairly high end graphics card in a machine intended as a server?

I won't even install graphics drivers in anything I use.

Anyway, if the PSU is decent quality, that load is completely do-able. I've put nVidia 8800-series cards on Antec 300W-powered systems and they've been fine.