Virtualizing software.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was looking for a program that would allow me to run programs (not operating system) virtually.
I found Alitiris.
Does anybody know of other programs (free) I could try?

Thanks

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for all your replies!

I believe what I want is a sandbox.
Here is the situation: One of our programers uses a program called Cimplicity. Over the years we have installed 4 different versions around our plant. Right now the programer must install and then uninstall each version to work on them. You cannot have multiple versions installed at the same time.
The programer ask if I could set up a multiple boot computer so he doesn't have to keep installing and uninstalling.
I was thinking there has to be a way to run each version on the same machine in some sort of virtual window. Is that a sandbox?

Thanks

ddrueding

Fixture
A sandbox could do that, I think. I'm just guessing, but the reason you can't have multiple simultaneous installs sue to hooks into the OS, or because they install to the same directory?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a guy I do work for whose Primavera consulting business means he needs access to five different versions of the program. I used VMware P2V to move all the different systems he was using to in to Guests on a single box with VMware Server and for him I became an IT god.

It didn't even take particularly long to set up, since he already had all the different systems.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Does the manufacturer of the program not have any guidance?

You need to better determine why the different versions can not coexist on the same OS installation. I would start with the most recent versions and work backward.
You also need to determine what the usage needs are. Does the program need to interact with serial ports or is the usage self contained to the program? Is he programming PLCs or just making drawings.
Worst case you could use vmware server or player to run four different installations of the OS on the base OS. Best case, you install in different directories and manage the dll hell.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for all the replys!

The program is Cimplicity and it is a HMI for PLCs. I real piece of crap. But we are stuck with it as it is installed all over the plant.

I have decided to just use removable hard drives with each version on a different drive.