VONAGE: SOUND GOOD?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi I just got a note from Vonage for 25 bucks, and a service agreement, 60 countries, and free local and long distance.

Anyone using this? Comments, hidden costs?

I've got Astound unlimited for US and it's due to double in price this month.

Thanks

GS

ddrueding

Fixture
We've been using it for a few years. Make sure you have some good QoS on your line, or Torrenting will interrupt phone calls.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have yet to hear of a person who was actually happy with Vonage service, including people who do basically nothing else with their internet connection besides Email.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got until Feb 3 to consider.

The pluses are T-Mobile is worse then AT&T, at least in the areas I use it in, signal avaliability wise. In Napa, some of the schools have NO reception at all.

However, their 10 dollar internet, and, Samsung Highlight phone make up for a bit of that.

Would NOT want to rely on that phone only. MY GF has been using that line for a long time, and, Astound has been pretty decent, price wise, around 30 dollars.
Her father is in Italy, and, unlimited calling to Italy would be great for her.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I've got until Feb 3 to consider.

The pluses are T-Mobile is worse then AT&T, at least in the areas I use it in, signal avaliability wise. In Napa, some of the schools have NO reception at all.

However, their 10 dollar internet, and, Samsung Highlight phone make up for a bit of that.

Would NOT want to rely on that phone only.

worse than AT&T, then Y is it a "plus"???

who has $10 internet, what kind of plan is that, connecting how?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You can throttle utorrent, assuming the rest allow it.

But I don't have that ability at work, voip phones and router that they chose don't have QoS and when outlook synchs people can't hear me.

On a slightly different tac my friends and I use Ventrilo all the time.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
From the other end it sounds OK, just a bit flat and sometimes cricket jumpy sounds with a few ms missing.

slyguy

What is this storage?
I've used Vonage for over 6 yrs now. Using Comcast cable in central and northern VA.

Dropped calls = 0 until 2 weeks ago. Quality always great.

My wife called VG immediately and they walked her through adjusting wireless router settings. Took 15 minutes start to finish. Problem solved.

I honestly love the service. I pre-pay a year in advance and save 20%. My monthly bill is only $20 for Vonage World. I really love the Simulring, call forwarding, and visual voicemail features. I never miss a call unless I choose to and if I do, I get the voicemail transcription texted to me as well as an audio file to my email.

All in all I love it.

Sorry my story isn't more sad like many others. Good luck with your decision.

slyguy

What is this storage?
Correction... it's $20 + the taxes and fed fees... I think I paid $270/yr or something like that.