Want to RMA your Hitachi HDD? Read this!

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
So I lost a drive in the Fileserv, not a huge deal (go RAID5). Anyway, today I jump on to Hitachi's site to file for an RMA, I enter the drive's serial, ect, and before I can get an RMA - This pops up, on an entire screen of it's own, telling me that I have to agree to this:

In order to create a RMA, please read and respond to the following:

Export Compliance Certification

By clicking the "I agree" button, I agree that Hitachi GST products will not be used for the design, development, manufacturing, testing, stockpiling, or use of biological, nuclear, missile or chemical weapons.

This was on a page, all on it's own. There was an entire seperate page for their terms/conditions/ect. How screwed up is that?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So what? Are you unable to comply? Maybe you should use a Maxtor/Seagate?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Weird, but who cares. (Unless you actually are using your system to develop biological, nuclear, missile or chemical weapons. In which case, can I have some of your spare ones please? I have a little list.)

I imagine that it's a side effect of Japanese law, which tends to be pretty gung-ho about not repeating Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Also, one or two of the huge Japanese combines were prosecuted recently for doing naughty stuff - selling a cyclotron to Iran, or something of that general nature. I forget te details. Maybe that was Hitachi, and maybe they are now having to be extra careful so as to cover their arses.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
BooST said:
By clicking the "I agree" button, I agree that Hitachi GST products will not be used for the design, development, manufacturing, testing, stockpiling, or use of biological, nuclear, missile or chemical weapons.[/b]

This was on a page, all on it's own. There was an entire seperate page for their terms/conditions/ect. How screwed up is that?

:rofl:

As if anyone using such would care/suffer an attack of the guilts

As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon".

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
LiamC said:
:rofl:

As if anyone using such would care/suffer an attack of the guilts.
My thoughts exactly! Even if a bad guy agreed to the terms while in violation of them, and gets caught, what are they going to get him for? Breach of contract? Sheesh, the games that are played! As Tony pointed out, they fall under the broad category of C-Y-A!

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
I really could care less, but found it quite odd.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you read the EULA for Windows, you'll find a long paragraph about not using it to control life support devices or air traffic, or a bunch of other critical things.

Which is pretty funny in exactly the same way.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
And in the old days, wasn't there some export issue with 128bit encryption support in web-browsers? I seem to remember the exact same type of click-through questioning in order to download Netscape, i.e. you'd better not be in Libya, Cuba, etc.