Wanted: file manager/viewer, suit word files

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'd have thought this would be easy. All I am looking for is an easy way to scroll through a folder of MS Word files, viewing the contents as desired, and managing those files.

I have a folder full of invoices in Word 2000 format, I want to be able to sort the contents (e.g., by date), and scroll through them, viewing contents if needed, then dispatch them to appropriate places - i.e., delete duplicates, send a copy somewhere, move processed invoices into the "processed" folder.

This should be easy! I'd have thought there would be two or three dozen Windows Explorer/File Manager style of applications with (for example) three windows:
  • Folder view down the left side
  • Files in folder listed on top right
  • Contents of file previewed in bottom right window.

No need to edit stuff, just look inside the files and move them around if desired.

Have I lost my touch with Google? I can only find one possibility and it is commercial. Surely there are dozens of freeware apps out that do this?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
IIRC such programs have always been commercial. But then, I'm pretty much out of touch with much that is happening out there.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I think you can use Windows 7 (or Vista, probably) and MS Office (trial version of Office 2010 tested) to accomplish what you want. The previewed file is from Word 97, so I bet that 2000 files would work.
preview.png

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cheers SB. That is exactly the sort of functionality I'm after.

This machine runs XP, so I don't know if I can do anything like your very helpful screenshot with that. I don't want to do anything too radical to my carefully minimal UI setup either. I used to use XTree Gold for this - that worked brilliantly.

I've completed this particular little job by hand in the meantime, so there is no hurry. I won't need to do it again for a few months. Just for the sake of curiosity, how did you get 7 to do what we see in the screenshot?

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Ahhh XTree... used that (non-Gold) back on my rockin' 1MB 12MHz 286 and 40MB Seagate 251-1.

Anyway, nothing special on Win 7; just click show preview pane button at far right of the menu bar, and then adjust the split by click-dragging the vertical lines separating the panes.
The .doc preview won't work without having Office installed; I checked on a plain-Jane Win7 box.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
...and PDFs, and some media files (that Windows Media Player handles), and XLS, and TXT and RTF. Previews many types of files depending on the associated applications.