Warning : Possible data corruption on nForce 4 motherboards.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
[url=http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t8171.html said:
NVIDIA forums[/url]]Several of us have reported data corruption with nForce 4 based motherboards. I'd like to share my experiences with you. I hope nVidia's experts read this forum and finally offer us the right solution.

In short: some random data data corruption happens if a motherboard is stressed with DMA transfers (about 2 or 3 bytes altered out of ~5 GBytes). The operating system does not log any error.

You copy a file of some GBytes, you compare them e.g. with the "comp" command in a DOS window, and the two files wont be the same. You repeat comparing them: you may see different errors at different file offsets each time. It seems to be a random error.

You can reproduce this error under Linux, too, e.g. SuSE 9.3.
Great. I can already hear Mercutio laugh. I'm happy not to have bought a motherboard based on this chipset. I hope previous nForce chipsets aren't affected as I own and sold quite a few nForce 2-based systems.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Great. My two home fileservers currently use NForce4 motherboards, ~300GB of my music and a medium amount of video. I hope this is an isolated issue. I don't have md5sums or any other way of checking the integrity of the files short of untarring a quazillion backup CD-R's...

I have to say I haven't noticed problems, but FLAC is tolerant of errors and the data could be going and I might not know for a while.

My girlfriends Dell just got fried in a power outage. What a great day for data integrity.

Gilbo

Storage is cool

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I didn't read the links, but I saw something about this last week or so -- wasn't it related to Maxtor drives, and wasn't it Maxtor that admitted a defect in their products (that's what some Nvidia reps were claiming).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Re: Warning : Possible data corruption on nForce 4 motherboa

CougTek said:
[url=http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t8171.html said:
Jerry Springer forums[/url]]Several of us have reported data corruption with blue-eyed people. I'd like to share my experiences with you. I hope optometrists read this forum and finally offer us the right solution.

In short: some random data data corruption happens if a person is stressed with news media transfers (about 2 or 3 bytes altered out of ~5 GBytes). The brain does not log any error.

You copy a file of some GBytes, you compare them e.g. with the "curtain" command in a boss window, and the two files wont be the same. You repeat comparing them: you may see different colors at different file offsets each time. It seems to be a random color.

You can reproduce this error under Eunuchs, too, e.g. Susan 9.3.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
nelson_ha_ha.jpg

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't know but I think Time did a funny by simply pointing out an obvious true-ism. I liked it.

Alot

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I happen to have a maxtor drive to store all my data but a Fujitsu SCSI drive for booting. But I don't use the nvidia IDE drivers, just stock windows drivers.
Wonder if I'm affected?