Was this a security hole they exploited?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
This is the first time I have seen this... advertisement, I guess you could call it. I believe it was after I left my browser open to the USOpen.org site for several hours... I come back to my computer to find this:

messenger.png

(IP address edited for security reasons... not that it would make a difference, I guess...)

It definitely was not a pop-up window in IE (looking at the task manager, I find an app running that says Messenger with an icon that is plain with no design -- no stylized e, just a plain window). Any ideas?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Can't you just disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
Win2K and XP both have this setting:

netbios.gif

Stereodude

Not really a
Clocker said:
Win2K and XP both have this setting:

netbios.gif
that may or may not cause undesireable affects if you have home network or not. I think the better solution is to turn off the Windows messaging service or whatever they've called it. Then you can't receive those messages (which may also cause problems on a home network). My firewall/router blocks them, so I don't have that concern.

Stereodude

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Clocker said:

I could, but like Stereodude said, if I do that, then I cannot see computers over my LAN.

I do have a firewall/router, but this laptop is not hooked up to it. My server and desktop are behind it, though.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
Clocker said:

I could, but like Stereodude said, if I do that, then I cannot see computers over my LAN.

I do have a firewall/router, but this laptop is not hooked up to it. My server and desktop are behind it, though.

Thanks e-dawg! I was wondering why I could not browse my network to find my other machines! I had to manually type in the machine IPs to get to the shared folders. I had NetBIOS disabled on them. I enabled it and now all is working. Now, all I have to do is have my router forward all NetBIOS requests from the internet to a non-existent IP address on my network for security. What port number does NetBIos use? I guess I can look that up real quick but if anyone wants to throw it at me, I'll catch it..

C

SteveC

Storage is cool
Clocker said:
Thanks e-dawg! I was wondering why I could not browse my network to find my other machines! I had to manually type in the machine IPs to get to the shared folders. I had NetBIOS disabled on them. I enabled it and now all is working. Now, all I have to do is have my router forward all NetBIOS requests from the internet to a non-existent IP address on my network for security. What port number does NetBIos use? I guess I can look that up real quick but if anyone wants to throw it at me, I'll catch it..

C

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is ports 137-139. You router should block it automatically already (along with those pesky PASV FTP connections :wink: ). I know that mine does.

Steve

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Clocker,

Like Steve said, your router/firewall should automatically block all ports that you don't specifically forward (assuming you are not putting anything in the DMZ). So, if you're not forwarding ports 137-139, you have nothing to worry about.

BTW, have you tried using your LMHOSTS file instead of NetBIOS? If you have static IP assignments, I think it should work. I have not tried using it in place of NetBIOS, but it's worth a shot.

Create a new lmhosts file in notepad and save it to the following directory: \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc. To be able to create it without the extension, I think you have to type "lmhosts" in the Save As box. Add your computers like this:

Code:
192.168.1.101    name of computer 1           #PRE
192.168.1.102    name of computer 2           #PRE