WD Passport

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Has anyone had an experience with this drive? I need several high capacity external 2.5" drives and don't want to deal with the hassle of drive/enclosure compatibility issues. Thanks.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, I have three of them. All seem to work just fine.
I would buy the two-into-one cable that WD offers. The power supplied buy a single USB port is sometimes too low to get the drive to work.
My 80GB model has never had any problems, but my 160GB sometimes won't run depending on what port it is plugged into. Always works from the rear motherboard USB slots.
Extension USB cable don't work on any of the drives. Too much voltage drop.

Bozo :joker:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I've got an older 120GB model from before the cases went black. Still works just fine. I don't power it up every day, though; just when I'm backing up my notebook. It works fine off my notebook's USB ports -- even off the old USB 1.1 ports on my previous notebook -- but it mostly runs off a powered D-link 7-port USB hub to minimize the amount of stuff I plug in to my notebook when I fire it up at home.

LunarMist

Thanks, but ordering online usually costs more overall in time and effort, due to the delivery process. I obtained one of the drives at the Best Buy. Unfortunately there is no case, not even a cheapie sleeve for a $200 drive. :( At least I am happy to report that the Western drive operates just fine on the USB bus power from my little old 2003 laptop. :)

LunarMist

I bought a second WD 250GB passport, but it vibrates quite a bit. :( Should I attempt to exchange the drive, given that technically it functions correctly?

ddrueding

Fixture
If you have two identical drives, and one behaves significantly better than the other, I would consider replacement. Run the WD diagnostic tools on it, to see if it has any technical issues.

LunarMist

There are no diagnostic tools, just some scary software that tries to install itself when the drive is connected. :(

LunarMist

They all seem to be same. Two hours for the test and counting.

LunarMist

I fell asleep before completion and exchanged the drive later on.

LunarMist

Is there any reason not to use the NTFS? I reformatted and lost some FAT32 space, and am too lazy to reinstall an older PM version.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Wd shas a niche product there I guess alos to fill gapps for upgrades of athe older PaTA conmputers.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I'm so the eagr beaver! do I buy one now, or exhibits the self-control???