WD Raptor on it's way into my PC soon, any tests beforehand?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I have a WD Raptor arriving on my doorstep on which is all good 'cept the Soltek SATA capable mobo I ordered won't be in stock for another week :(. anyhoo, I didn't really have any intentions of running a suite of benchmarks over it but if there's a few specific tests and/or benchmarks anyone here would like me to run through, I'll do my best to get tdo them and publish the results. lack of time will be my biggest problem in getting them done but I will try.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
I'd say, give your general impression. Does you system feel more responsive with that drive?

If you use VMWare, i'd like to get your impressions (out of standby, commit changes, booting two VM's at the same time, etc...).

Dïscfärm

Re: WD Raptor on it's way into my PC soon, any tests beforeh

Jake the Dog said:
I have a WD Raptor arriving on my doorstep...

Did you order any earplugs with that hard drive?

I keep reading where people say that this new hard drive is as loud as a 1998-era 10kRPM SCSI drive.

zx

I bought two WD400JB drives this year and I don't really like the sound they make. They are better than my 60GXP, but they are far from silent.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
zx said:
I bought two WD400JB drives this year and I don't really like the sound they make. They are better than my 60GXP, but they are far from silent.

so you're saying they're quieter than a ball bearing drive that's been used for a year or two? heh... i would certainly expect as much.

yeti

What is this storage?
Raptor performance

I recently had the opportunity to test a couple Raptors. Surprisingly their maximum Sequential Throughputs were lower than what StorageReview found (58 MB max instead of 63).

I'd be interested to learn if this is a common occurence or just a case of bad luck.