question WD60EZRX or Others?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is there any alternative to the WD60EZRX in a 6TB slow/cool drive for around $300? The Seagate 6TB becomes too hot to use without cooling, and the Hitachi NAS 7200 RPM drive is marginal for heat. Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You could wait another two weeks and see what reviews on the 8TB Seagate drive are like. I'm probably going to buy a couple as near-line backup targets, so I suspect I'll have something to say about them soon enough.
Hitachi drives in general handle heat beautifully. It's absolutely the last thing I'd worry about with the 7k *Star drives.

LunarMist

So do you think 50°C is OK for continual use a few days at a time?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Yep. That's the maximum water temperature in these parts because it takes 5 minutes to deliver 3rd degree burns, whereas 60°C takes just 1 second.

In other words, it's a benign temperature in the overall scheme of things. Hotter than Google's optimal 45°C target for a 24x7 array, but almost certainly fine in your context.

LunarMist

I finally purchased some of the 6TB WD drives to replace the Seagate backup drives, which will be used as primaries to replace some olden 4TB 7200K Hitachis. From what I can determine, the WD drives do not have the shingles. :)