Web interface for MP3/AVI collection

ddrueding

Fixture
As you guys may know, I travel quite a bit. I have a fairly substantial MP3 collection and am interested in having it available while I'm travelling. I currently just have a simple (private, of course) FTP server running that I can map as a drive and (try to) stream, but I've seen others with web interfaces that allowed them to download or view directorys, even set up queues of downloads or stream the media itself.

Any ideas what I could run on my WinXP Pro machine to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
Slim Server can do what you need. You basically stream your MP3's to a player such as winamp, and you can manage the playlist through the web. If you want to use an emulator for their product, there is a tool called SoftSqueeze. Mercutio was the one who originally brought this tool to my attention. There is another thread on the forum regarding us sharing MP3's using slim server.

I use it in my house to synchronize MP3 playlists on both floors. I use the squeezesoft emulator on two different laptops and connect a set of amplified speakers to each laptop. It works really well. You can control the volume of either laptop from any location, and you have the option of synchronizing the playlist.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
MPD, which works on all the *nixy OSes has web clients. I've yet to try it, but I've been looking into it, and it looks interestiing.

General *nix music player thoughts:
At the moment I've been using Rhythmbox via remote desktop (just on my LAN), because ReplayGain support is pretty crucial IMO. Rhythmbox is shockingly inadequate compared to Foobar2000 unfortunately. Muine also supports ReplayGain tags, and it's next on my list to try. MPD looks good though. Madman looks to be the closest to Foobar2000 with respect to organizational abilities, but no ReplayGain is kind of a deal breaker for me. I'd like to use it, but I'm not looking forward to adjusting the volume every time a song from a different album starts playing. Gstreamer support would be nice too, and, in general, I prefer gtk apps...

At some point, I can already see that I'm going to have to resurrect Foobar2000. Damn that addictive piece of software.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Both Slimserver and kplaylist are intriguing. I've never come across either in my wanderings. This is such a short, yet useful thread.