Webcams

Stereodude

Not really a
So my wife wants a webcam so she can video chat with her family via Skype.

I looked a bit online, and saw lots of praise for the Logitech QuickCam® Pro 9000 link

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So my wife wants a webcam so she can video chat with her family via Skype.

I looked a bit online, and saw lots of praise for the Logitech QuickCam® Pro 9000 link

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The one you linked to is a v.good webcam, my parents use one via MSN Messenger and the picture quality is way above average. At my end, we are using an older Logitech Webcam Express, and it's performance is linked directly to it's price. (low and crap).

The other bonus, is the QC9000 supports the UVC standard, so can be used in Linux and Solaris without issues as well...

ddrueding

Fixture
I asked around a while ago and that is the one I was recommended as well. I still haven't gotten one, as everyone who asked ended up with a laptop with one built-in. Perhaps I'll order one for testing.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Even the much cheaper S7500 gives a pretty decent result at 640x480, once you tweak the white balance, saturation and contrast (the auto settings aren't much good). I know this because I've been playing with one tonight.

RightLight works pretty well: I was able to use the webcam in a dark room with just the pilot light from the camera and the illumination from the monitor, although obviously results are better with proper lighting.

The 9000 adds auto-focus (manual wheel on the S7500), which sounds like a good idea to me.