Weird problem with current OS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I had the power go out about 6 times at work, and, finally my power supply gave up the ghost.

I replaced it with a Seasonic, and now the computer works fine if I boot it at 100 mhz=1ghz, but, 133 mhz/= 1.4 ghz. Machine blue screens,
and gives me something about NTkernal problems.

What should I do? Try and repair the os with the system disk?> Figure the ram is damaged, or some chipset on the bus?

Open to any suggestion....

GS

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Sounds like to me that either your ram or your motherboard is now a little flaky from power surges. Just a guess, however.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I guess I can pull each of the ram sticks, and test them, one at a time.

Woe is me... :cry:

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Great. I'll give them a try tomorrow...

Wonder if the heatsink coming loose could cause this?

GS

Handruin

Administrator
If it came loose then it might be causing your problems. Have you tried any of the free temperature monitoring programs to see how warm it is?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Also, the Seasonic had a blue wire, with connector, that plugged into the motherboard power out put, for a fan.

Anyone know what it's for?

Thanks
GS

Handruin

Administrator
I've used motherboard monitor in the past and it worked ok. You might also want to check the manufacturer's website for similar tools. Most have some type of monitoring tool for their own motherboards.

As for the blue wire, I believe that's so you can monitor the fan speed of the PSU with your motherboard monitoring software (which will also do temeratures).

Handruin

Administrator
I forgot to mention that you can usually see the temperature within the BIOS. That might be the easiest route to take if you're having the BSOD.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:

GS

Do you have any reason to believe this is happening? Did you remove the HS/F for some reason. I don't think a power outage can cause anything to become loose. :wink:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Clocker said:
Santilli said:

GS

Do you have any reason to believe this is happening? Did you remove the HS/F for some reason. I don't think a power outage can cause anything to become loose. :wink:

It sort of reminds me of when I tried overclocking, and, the machines been moved around a bit. Never know. Still, if it runs well at 1 ghz, it does seem unlikely. It does have a swiftech heatsink, and, they are heavy. The board is mounted sideways...

gs

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Those Swiftech sinks usually have strong bolt down attachments with tensioning springs so you're probably good with respect to HSF seating unless there is physical damage to the M/B.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
time said:
Check your capacitors - seriously.

And how would I do that, and, are they replaceable?

I've checked the ram, and, the machine fails to boot, or boots, and shuts down, with either module, when turned up to 1.4 ghz.

Looks like I have a 1 ghz computer.

I'm hoping for a little love, so I can build a new, cheap box, for school, and convert the 1 ghz over to a computer for my kids to type on.

Thanks

gs

Handruin

Administrator
To check the capacitors, open the case and visually explore every one of them on the board. If any of the look like these two, then you have a problem with the board.

I would suspect the capacitors are replaceable, but that all depends on how good you are at soldering. What CPU/motherboard are you working with?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
I would suspect the capacitors are replaceable, but that all depends on how good you are at soldering.
Doug, it's Santilli. So these capacitors are not replaceable.

Greg, DON'T come near your motherboard with your torch burner. You won't do any good.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You need a UPS.

FYI: In case of a fault on the lines, the power companies' circut breakers are set to automatically reset 3 times before they finally open and stay open. This can play hell with any electrical equipment that is running at the time.

Bozo :mrgrn:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
They don't have to be actually leaking, just bulging. Normally, the tops of the capacitors should be slightly concave. As gas builds up, this changes to convex; ultimately, the top will open enough to allow some electrolyte to escape. But the caps are shot well before then.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Bozo said:
FYI: In case of a fault on the lines, the power companies' circut breakers are set to automatically reset 3 times before they finally open and stay open. This can play hell with any electrical equipment that is running at the time.
Whoa! Can you elaborate?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I bought a Tripplite at Costco, and, I'm kicking myself for not picking up an extra APC 1050 when they had them. Still, I should have another one on the other

No capacitators fried that I can see.

Curses...

gs

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
All the power companies power lines are protected by circut breakers. If there is a fault on the line, the breaker opens, or 'tripps'. This is just like your home. In your home you must manually 'close' or reset the breaker to get power back. But the power companies lines are outdoors. During a storm, lighting, high winds, trees, ice, etc, can cause temporary short circuts or grounding. The power companies breakers trip (or opens) but then automatically close again. They do this three times before opening and staying open. If the fault clears on the first open/close cycle then the breaker stays closed. (or the second, or third)
Image if you will, a lighting strike near a line and the breaker opening and staying open. You would have to wait for a power company crew to locate the breaker that is open and then manually close it. And consider the area of responsibility each power company maintenance crew is responsible for. (square miles!)
Of course this plays hell with electrical equipment. A UPS is about the only thing that will protect your electronic equipment.

Bozo :mrgrn: