Well that didn't take long

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, I just got my first "Vista Upgrade fucked up my computer!!!" call.

8 hours, 43 minutes after the public launch.

fb

Storage is cool
Or maybe Sechs really meant computer ready Vista? :D I'll wait at least until SP1 before I'll install it (if it'll ever happen.)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Well, I got my copy today: Vista Business with an FPP upgrade cost of $139 to ultimate. M$ UPS'ed it (Signiture required), rather than the ususal snail-mail shipment. I am installing it on a Dell 3.2GHz P4 with XP Home on it.

My first observation: My it takes a long time to install

Mercutio

A clean, new install on a C2D is pretty reasonable. Less time than XP takes, I think. Sadly, that's probably the last time Vista is faster than XP at anything.

Anyway, the guy who called me this morning has hardware that isn't fully supported with Vista; he's using fancy speakers with digital inputs and apparently Vista's driver for his hardware does not enable digital out.

I told him he'd probably have to wait for an updated driver from someone, or he could buy a new card with better support.

Now the HILARIOUS part of that call #2 from the same guy (which fortunately went to my voicemail because I would've been laughing too hard if I had taken the call) was my customer went and bought a $100 Audigy something or other...

Which apparently has the same problem.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
~~snip

Anyway, the guy who called me this morning has hardware that isn't fully supported with Vista; he's using fancy speakers with digital inputs and apparently Vista's driver for his hardware does not enable digital out.

~~snip

I am under the belief that the DRM in Vista &/or driver requirements won't allow/disables digital out in case you are a pirate.

Mercutio

No, I've done a little research. It's just that only certain audio chipsets properly support digital I/O under Vista.

Nothing that uses the generic AC97 audio driver in Vista supports digital I/O. Nor any Audigy product. SB Live! does. C-Media codecs don't, apparently. So it's just spotty.

Vista's DRM support is most stupid crap built in to media player and certain HD formats. Audio DRM only exists for idiots who use iTunes or Media Player.