Western Digital Caviar SE vs Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 8MB

reign

What is this storage?
WD1200JB vs ST3120026A, both 120GB, 8MB cache, 7200rpm, 3 year warranty.

The Seagate looks better on paper, faster seek, internal disk to disk tranfer rates, and quieter. How about in the real world?

reign

What is this storage?
How about the Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 9 120GB, 8MB cache 7200rpm running at UATA5 versus the WD & Seagate.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Maxtor, if you can find one with a long warranty. It's neck-and-neck with the Seagate everywhere but noise.

I don't know of any reliability issues with the Seagate. I think that would be my second choice.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Without checking, I seem to recall Storage Review's tests show the WD still in front performance-wise. And they definitely have a 3-year warranty, it's just that some people here (including me) have experienced slightly erratic quality. But then I've also become a little suspicious of Seagate at the moment.

The problem is, some drives are so damn reliable that anything else looks poor in comparison. But long-term, they probably all have sufficient reliability for most people.

The Seagate always wins the noise contest. Hard to go past it if you're trying to build a silent or very quiet PC.