Western Hitachi Digital

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Farnarkle me!

That was a shock! Where is the huge thread discussing Western Digital's takeover of Hitachi's storage division?

Why wasn't I told?

(And, frankly, why don't I really care all that much anymore/)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh, thankyou iGary.

Does Merc know yet? He'll have a coronary! Or, possibly on the news, we will hear that rescue teams were called to a small but highly radioactive brain core meltdown event in Chicago.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh ... I practically never read the stupid damn random thread. I wish someone would just delete it so we could go back to having sensible conversations, and find stuff, and have a rough clue what the latest news is.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
iGary: 3 years between posts? I'm impressed.

Thought we'd lost you - have you been incognito as a new sock puppet?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, time to reflect more seriously on this shock anouncement. (Well, I was shocked.)

First, the disclaimer. I haven't bought an new IBM/Hitachi drives since they were indeed IBM. Last IBM drives I bought new were 75GXPs - which, I hasten to add, worked perfectly. So far as I know, they are stilkl out there in service. At least, whoever I sold them to never came back to have them replaced under warranty, or upgraded.

I stopped selling IBM drives simply because

(1) my favourite IBM distributor here in Oz went out of business and the other distos were a bit ordinary.

(2) at that time we had no particular need for them - we had ample supplies of well-priced, well-performed drives from other vendors

Outside of accidental stuff (e.g., whatever brand of drive you happen to get when you order a new laptop), I haven't sold a Deskstar or a Travelstar since that time.

Nor have I sold a WD drive since not too long after that - sold a few 800BBs in 2001, a handful of JBs in 2002 or so, and that was it. Even since then, I have prety much sold nothing byt Samsung, and never regretted that for a moment - the other brands seem to have improved (the number of 3rd party systems I see come in with drive troubles is lower than it used to be) but they still don't seem to be in the same class reliability-wise that Samsung are.

The most common failed drives are Western Digital, followed by Seagate. I hardly ever see a Hitachi because their Australian distribution is still weak, and they are in any case over-priced here.

But even though I never buy WD or Hitachi drives, I will miss them. There are now just three manufacturers left, and that is a scarey thing indeed in any market.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, there has been speculation around that Samsung will exit the business and/or sell out to one of the others for .... hmmm .... since at least 10 years ago to my knowledge. It had better not happen!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Samsung makes NAND Flash chips. It's not like they don't have an exit strategy. I have a feeling spinning disks are going to be around for a good long time. Perhaps not as a growth market, but one that nonetheless needs to be served. Samsung is weird though. It has very limited relationships with what I think of as retail or hobbyist channels, so we don't really know what's going on with its hard disk business most of the time. I wonder if it's marketing itself better to Asian markets or if it's just this semi-inert business unit that spits out solid if unremarkable product after product.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Or, possibly on the news, we will hear that rescue teams were called to a small but highly radioactive brain core meltdown event in Chicago.

...china syndrome situation in NW Indiana / Chicagoland in progress. :D

Otherwise, I no longer care one way or another about Western Digi's past follies -- even the time many years ago when I got tasked at work to degauss a 30-some-odd item pile of failed Western Digi hard drives that were one of the two infamous models that would fail like a light bulb with a 100 percent failure rate expected within months of operation (as it was discovered after it shipped out).

At least by my estimation, Western Digi finally turned itself around a while back and makes decent product nowadays.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
iGary: 3 years between posts? I'm impressed.

Thought we'd lost you - have you been incognito as a new sock puppet?

I've always lived here as embedded XML code. The other me on the keyboard end has been too busy for a while to play around on the interwebs. Today was a rare exception.