What do we all look like

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IBM is kind of its own special little tragedy. There are probably more smart people working for IBM than any other business in the world, yet because of its bizarre business culture, for all those brains, nothing ever gets done right there.
Matrix management is evil. There are a large number of people who could excel and drive every part of IBM's business forward. Instead, every decision is made by a committee and every employee seems to have four or five managers. Inertia exceeds all rational understanding.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea,

Since the context was marketing, that is where I consider OS/2 to be a flop. Yes, yes, I remember all of the commercials and hype about the OS, especially Warp, but in relation to Windows or even Linux, where are they today marketing-wise?

Buck

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There were commercials for Warp??? What were they like? I am probably too young to remember.

I do remember when IBM Aptivas came with OS/2 and Windows 3.1 in a dual boot config. My parents bought one for my sister in about 1995 when she went away to college. But I formatted the drive and installed Windows 95, so I have used OS/2 but only for about 10 minutes.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
There were commercials for Warp??? What were they like? I am probably too young to remember.
I think I still have somewhere a big poster of : "OS/2, Get warped!" It was nice looking, but it didn't catch well enough.

Back then, my main reason to favor Windows 95 was that OS/2 needed 64MB (huge for that time) to work relatively well and that Winblows 95 was ok with only half of that. Since memory wasn't cheap back then and also that my computer knowledge wasn't what it is today, I ditched OS/2 from my systems' options. It might have been a mistake, but I wasn't the only one to have done it.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Interesting comments about OS/2 made here:

Tom Nadeau said:
THE WARPED PERSPECTIVE
August 2001

I was cleaning out an old desk the other day, and I happened to find a few intriguing articles from the mid-1990's. (One of them is mentioned in the Quote of the Month above.) Aside from a few laughs at the ridiculous claims of the talking parrots who obediently repeated the Microsoft party line, there were several cases of anti-OS/2 FUD that were quite amazing.

For those who are unaware of the term, "FUD" means Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. It's a technique for negative marketing that was originally used by IBM in the mainframe business. By raising spooky questions about the future of competing products and companies, IBM could play the role of "the only safe choice" and leverage their huge size and vast experience to keep corporate customers from investigating hot new alternatives. Ironically, FUD was perfected by Microsoft during their anti-OS/2 campaign of the mid-1990's and used quite effectively against IBM. Here are a few examples.

"A Dataquest, Inc. report created quite a ruckus last week. Among other outcomes, the unpublished document predicts that IBM will kill OS/2 when the operating system fails to gain market share after Microsoft Corp's Windows95 debuts." - Computerworld, April 10, 1995, page 8.

Note the sly terminology.... "WHEN" instead of "IF" OS/2 fails to gain market share. By implying that the outcome was certain to be negative, a prognostication began to look like a plan. But even more subtle is the fact that the Dataquest report was an UNPUBLISHED document. How could an unpublished document cause a ruckus? If such a document was intentionally leaked to a wide audience, then it could cause damage without giving IBM grounds to sue. This way, corporate managers would begin to Fear for the future of OS/2, become Uncertain about IBM's long-term commitment to the platform, and Doubt that it would be around for a long time. Meanwhile, IBM could only deny the rumors; there was nothing in print to be refuted and no legal recourse to shut down the publication of an unpublished document.

What is the original source of such anti-IBM rumormongering? Look at the following excerpt:

"Compuserve's OS/2 User Forum is rife with rumors that Big Blue wil scuttle OS/2 development in favor of supporting Microsoft's Windows95. The rumors apparentlly got started when "sources close to Microsoft" leaked word to a columnist for the UK edition of PC Magazine, who dutifully reported both the rumor and source." - Computerworld, March 20, 1995, page 118.

To put these dirty tricks into perspective, note that these rumors originated with pro-Microsoft cronies and were spread quickly throughout the PC media establishment -- less than one month after OS/2 Warp had become America's best-selling retail software product. At a time when IBM CEO Lou Gerstner was openly calling for increased OS/2 development and a full sales commitment (even with direct, public appeals to all IBM executives to push OS/2 forward), persistent rumors of IBM's supposed "plan" to get rid of OS/2 continued to be propagated throughout the mainstream PC media.

Soon other computer publications jumped on the bandwagon. PC Computing's Ed Bott responded to a pro-OS/2 letter with the printed comment, "Break out the grape Kool-Aid!" -- an obvious reference to suicidal cult leader Jim Jones. Later in 1995, one computer magazine printed a sales chart that appeared to show OS/2 sales disappearing -- until the reader looked closely and realized that the horizontal axis of the graph was not zero sales per month, but 200,000 sales per month. A major trade magazine printed an article entitled "OS/2 Users Head for the Exits" -- while the accompanying graph showed that 10% more companies were INCREASING their OS/2 investments than were decreasing them.

Note that many of these phony anti-OS/2 articles were in trade publications that also had one, two, or more full-page IBM advertisements for OS/2 Warp. IBM was selling OS/2 like hotcakes, spending huge rolls of cash on OS/2 advertisements, and urging every IBM executive to promote OS/2 to IBM's clients. Meanwhile, the press preferred to spread rumors and innuendos, becoming accomplices to Microsoft's dirty-tricks campaign.

When today's users of Microsoft products endure lost data, lost productivity, and the gut-wrenching frustration of being force-fed a suite of brain-dead, obsolete products, they ought to pause and thank the media for their predicament. In one of the most shameful episodes of tabloid-style journalism ever, greatness was squelched and mediocrity became a celebrated hero. As any Microsoft watcher knows, ignorant corporate decision-makers base their selections not on reality, but on popular myths. The PC-using public needed the facts, and the "experts" in the PC media let them down.

Copyright © 2001, Tom Nadeau
All Rights Reserved.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
timwhit said:

Oh, there were lots of them, Tim, and they were dreadful. I don't know what went wrong with IBM's marketing department. If you go far enough back, IBM had a superb ad agency working for them. Does anyone bar Flagreen, Fusugi and Buck remember their advertising for the IBM PC? Here is a clip from one, around about 1984:

ibmcharlie.gif

Back then they seemed to understand about selling stuff, or at least their agency did. But their OS/2 campaigns were terrible. They did finally get some cool looking stuff around 1995, but it was ill-targeted and too little too late.

Coug says "Back then, my main reason to favor Windows 95 was that OS/2 needed 64MB (huge for that time) to work relatively well and that Winblows 95 was ok with only half of that." Actually the days when you needed massive memory for OS/2 were well and truly over by then. One of the great selling points of Warp was that it would run in 4MB. (Not very pleasant, but it runs.) This original 16MB memory requirement of OS/2 2.1 was, quite correctly, considered to be a major barrier to its acceptance. Windows 3.1 (there was no 95 yet) would run in 1MB, and run decently in 4MB. The glacially-slow development of product at IBM was such that they didn't wake up to this problem and do anything about it until it no longer mattered much - by the time Warp 4 came out, Windows 95 was common and anyone with any sense was buying 16MB anyway, or even 32MB.

If I am any guess, Coug, your problem wasn't that you neeed more RAM, it was that the IBM PC Company had installed your OS/2 in the traditional vomit box maker style, with 713 useless things loading and all the eye candy turned on. On Windows, this was one thing (as the worst of the Windows eye candy didn't arrive until 1998, by which time everyone had lots of RAM, and Windows was always targeted at idiots anyway), but on OS/2 it had all the charm of a slightly overweight but very competent 48-year-old charge nurse dressing up in crotchless knickers and heavy make-up so that she can cruise the nightclubs hoping for a 17-year-old. And the switching off the eyecandy process was different, so that only someone familiar with the OS could be reasonably expected to be able to do it properly. (No harder than Windows, just different.)

So there came a time, back a bit before this, when IBM's PSP division finally realised that all their "OS/2 is technically better" push wasn't quite working as they plannned. It was successful (10 million copies a year ain't small change) but not successful enough. Given that its major competition was Windows 3.1, and then the little improved Windows 95, it should have wiped the floor. This was when they turned around and said, "Oh, Windows is marketed to idiots, maybe we better have idiot marketing as well". Note the huge mistake: IBM noticed that Windows was marketed to idiots, but the new-look OS/2 campaigns was marketing by idiots. And nobody ever said that Microsoft's marketing guys were idiots - they were, and still are, some of the smartest people on the planet.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
OK, I see it now. That is absolutely horrible, I hope they didn't pay an ad agency to come up with that.

Mars

What is this storage?
Jon%201.jpg

And a partial of my office (this is my workstation, I have 2 or 3 other running pcs in there depending on what day it is ;) )
DSCF0441.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tannin said:
If I am any guess, Coug, your problem wasn't that you neeed more RAM, it was that the IBM PC Company had installed your OS/2 in the traditional vomit box maker style, with 713 useless things loading and all the eye candy turned on.
To be honnest Tony, I relied more on the info others gave me about it back then rather then tried it myself. I did, but not often and only on Cyrix-equipped systems, with utilies I wasn't used to (I was on a DOS-Win3.x -Win95 ladder back then). I didn't push my researches too far and followed the wave (went to winblows).

Buck,

Now I understand why WDC shares took a steeper dip than other techno titles lately.

Mars,

Is that a Viewsonic E70f? You only need some coffee stain marks here and there and you'll have a real geek desk.

Mars

What is this storage?
A95f - The desk was brand new in that shot - movers broke my old one when I moved in - its pretty beefy, not sure I could stain it if I wanted to, its some kind of industrial surface laminate, I can barely scratch it with a pocket knife ;)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Buck,

Now I understand why WDC shares took a steeper dip than other techno titles lately.

Coug, WDC shares usually drop when the market goes up or at least has a shimmer of hope. When the market was failing, there price was up. But, as you point out and highlight my feelings, that logo is ugly.

Mars, don't worry about the coffee stains. As soon as we see some glasses of Scotch or Bourbon on that desk, then we know you're hooked into this tempest they call Computers.

Mars

What is this storage?
Buck said:
CougTek said:
Buck,

Coug, WDC shares usually drop when the market goes up or at least has a shimmer of hope. When the market was failing, there price was up. But, as you point out and highlight my feelings, that logo is ugly.

Mars, don't worry about the coffee stains. As soon as we see some glasses of Scotch or Bourbon on that desk, then we know you're hooked into this tempest they call Computers.

Ugh ;)

I suspect I may already be hooked, but I dunno, here are some current shots, you tell me ;)

How many hard drives can you find in the bottom photo? ;)

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Wow... got everything in that room. Hmm. Shall we all start taking photos of our computers and its surroundings? Sounds like fun* :mrgrn:

*read: sounds very geeky. But hey I don't mind 8)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
And yeah, that WD logo is... er... even more lame than Maxtors "fast drives" one with the train.

Mars

What is this storage?
heheh, Actually I was a little disgruntled after realizing in all those shots, I missed a clear one of the new workstation under contruction in the Antex SX835 case - you can see the side of it on the right hand side of that first shot ;)

James

Storage is cool
I should have a nice shiny new Canon Powershot A40 on Monday, so once things are a little tidier on my desk I'll post a photo or two. Do you want pictures of the "server room" too? :mrgrn:

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
James said:
I should have a nice shiny new Canon Powershot A40 on Monday, so once things are a little tidier on my desk I'll post a photo or two. Do you want pictures of the "server room" too? :mrgrn:

And the PVR. It has a hard drive!

James

Storage is cool
Actually that makes it sound more grandiose than it is. But I do have a FreeBSD box, a Sun Ultra 5, a network-attached 6 disk CDROM changer and a 3000VA UPS in there. :mrgrn:

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The Tee-shirt, by the way, comes from Nimbin (Australia's answer to Woodstock, if any of you Eighties babies remember back that far) and is made out of genuine marijuana plants - i.e., hemp. A little harsh on the skin (like coarse linen) but very cool in summer.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Tannin: Much like elephants, orangs are very strong for

their size. It's generally unwise to threaten, or otherwise insult, orangs, since they may do something like rip your head off, and play basketball with it, or, twist you into a figure 8, for fun.

My favorite gorilla strength test was a coconut, wrapped in super thick packing card board, unhusked, and wrapped with duck tape.

They tossed the package to the gorilla. She rattled the package, and, I guess she figured out it was a coconut.

She shoved her thumbs through the cardboard, like it was tissue paper, peeled it open, and was looking at the husked coconut.

Apparently, she knew, and liked em. She PEELED the husk off the coconut like it was a grape, with no effort.

Once down to coconut, she hit it lightly on the pavement, then hit it again, all sort of in slow motion, not raising her arm more then 4 inches.

The nut cracked, and she carefully enjoyed the milk.

The only animal that could do this any quicker os probably kava.
She'd either eat it whole, crunching it in her 4, giant molars, or just step on it. Elephants have realized that not much exists after they step on it.
An excellent way of getting rid of small, daily problems... like humans.
Be nice to Tea. Even though she looks young, you don't want to abuse her as a child.

s

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I bumped this thread so new people could get some idea of who we are. But I noticed that many of the pictures no longer connect to their destination, pity.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I decided to finally post a picture. It's not very good though.

timwhit.jpg

That shot was taken in the north woods of Minnesota this summer. Oh ya, I am on the far right wearing a hat and sunglasses. And no, I don't normally dress like that.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Good, keep the thread alive! I also updated my photo to one where I'm shaved and have some more colour...