What do you think about...

pmcassel

What is this storage?
Server will do the following:
-File Server, keep up with graphics editing files for about 5-7 users
-Linux Server using Samba to do Active Directory tricks (my documents mirroring, etc)

Hardware I'm looking at:
-3WARE Escalade 7506-8 RAID card $403.00
-6 Seagate 120GB 7200rpm IDE Hard Drives @ $100 a piece = $600
(4 on RAID 5 Setup, one for Linux OS, one as a spare)
-Intel P4 (800 FSB) D865PERLK

I would like to keep the price around $2000

OK I havnt started picking other stuff because I have a few concerns/questions. First off, the 3WARE RAID card being placed in a 32bit 33mhz pci bus is saturating enough as it is. But then, to try to place a gigabit ethernet card in there would be tourture on the bus. So, I need a motherboard that supports gigabit ethernet (or a 64/66 pci bus thats relatively cheap). That reason, and the fact that I thought the PERLK was reliable and stable was my reason for picking it so far. Any ideas/suggestions on a mobo thats better. Stability but speed for the giga-E and RAID card are a must.

The CPU for this box does not need to be anything huge. In fact, I personaly believe it could be really low end due to the fact that I have a hardware RAID solution. Any suggestions?

Seems as though every mobo I look at either supports a huge processor and is expensive and more than I need. But, only higher end mobos support the 64/66 pci bus OR the Giga-E onboard LAN.

Also, any regular 8 port ide controller cards? Would there be a problem with
2 4 port controller cards? Then I could go software RAID.

Ideas/critiques welcome. Thanks
Paul