What do you think of this roof?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
As stated, the panoramic windshield is an option. So there's no need to get it if you don't want it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's a really big hunk of glass/plastic/whatever to have replaced when some dickhole throws a beer can out his window or kicks up a rock.

ddrueding

Fixture
Eh, I doubt it costs much more than a standard windshield to replace; most of the cost is in delivery/installation anyway. I think it would be really cool, particularly at night on Hwy 1 or in SF or NYC (tall buildings)

Handruin

Administrator
I think it gives the car an interesting look. I'd have to test drive it before I could decide. The panoramic windshield would have to be done well enough that it doesn't hurt the eyes to use the car.

Where the hell are the traditional sun visors? Now that would drive me nuts on a sunny day after it has snowed!

ddrueding

Fixture
Considering the amount of glass a traditional sun visor would have to cover, I'd say it would be completely impractical. You would need to use some sort of retracting cover that used rails on either side and has a support bar in front for stiffness.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There are no side visors, either? That is ridiculous. I predict that 7-10 years down the line there will be many of these cars with cracked windshields/roofs being driven around.

Sol

Storage is cool
ddrueding said:
I doubt it costs much more than a standard windshield to replace; most of the cost is in delivery/installation anyway.

One of my co-workers back in Aus had a BMW with a rain sensing windscreen. When it inevidibly got cracked the BMW replacement was a good $1000 more than a standard non rain-sensing one (He figured he could probably tell when it was raining himself for that money). The point being that most of the cost of a regular windscreen is in the shipping and installation. I would imagine the BMW one was somewhat affected by patents meaning only BMW would be able to produce them, the same may be true of this style, it'd be something to check anyway...

ddrueding

Fixture
Sol,

Although this windshield is bigger, it doesn't include electronics of any kind; it's just a big piece of glass.

How often do people around here replace windshields, anyway? I've replaced one in a decade, and it was my mother's fault.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Both my wife's car and mine have had rocks hit the windshields and damage them to the point of needing to be replaced. My wife's replacement windshield had to be repaired from another rock. Thankfully we have glass coverage on our auto insurance.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have had to replace one windshield about 8 years ago, when a rock hit it on the freeway: It actually went through the windshield leaving about a 2 inch hole and glass shards inside the driver compartment.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow, that is more than I expected. I've done about 750k miles in the last 10 years, and the only windshield I've had to replace was when my mother kicked it from the passenger seat.

Sol

Storage is cool
It's not the electronics that cost money though it the fact that you can only get it from one supplier and the lack of economies of scale.
Unless there are a whole heap of cars out there with compatible windscreens replacements are going to cost a fair bit more.

To be fair though I've never had to replace a windscreen so it's probably not the worlds largest concern, especially if your insurance is reasonable.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've replaced one in my Maxima. It was pretty cheap. Under $200 if I recall correctly. Of course, then again the replacement windsheild wasn't OEM and is pretty cheap. Last month I got hit by a stone and there's a tiny crack (about 3mm long) which I expect will start growing shortly. So, I'll be getting a second replacement and the car is 5 years old.