What motivates people

ddrueding

Fixture
I would agree as well. There were some neat TED talks about motivation and marketing, I'll try and find them. I know the reason I put in crazy hours at work is because after the first 10 hours I can start working the way I want to, working on projects that I consider significant longer-term.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not very motivated to figure out how to play that video. :)
:colors:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I guess you don't have an up to date version of Flash.

Win 2K and XP32/XP64 are as new as I use. I was able to update the XP32, but the XP64 Windows update does not work. It is several years old.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Really interesting video, pretty much sums up why I stay where I am. I don't make a lot of money but but I have more than I need and I have minimal management inteference. It's really obvious when I bump heads with other areas of the company that don't hink that way and I have to conform. I am not sure hey realize why our little group works well though and I worry grey will change something and lose that dynamic.

Video worked fine on my iPod. Liked the drawing too, nicely done.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting. This explains why I've spent more hours than I care to think helping improve MS Train Simulator, and then basically gave away whatever I learned. Same thing for a bunch of others involved. None of us cared about money. In fact, there really wasn't money involved because nobody would be able to afford to pay us a fair value for the work we did. Most certainly didn't do it for fame, although a little acknowledgement from time to time was nice. Still, ego massaging wasn't a motivator. Nope, the primary motivator was making a buggy, crappy, simplistic piece of software into something much better, so that those whose interests paralleled ours could derive enjoyment from it. The challenge of figuring out how to do this, in short mastering the program, helped also.

For the same reasons a bunch of us are now involved making an MSTS compatible train simulator from scratch which will fix the bugs we were unable to fix with MSTS.

Honestly, money is a horrible motivator. For most people, once they have enough to satisfy their basic needs and a few luxuries, more money won't make much difference in their lives. Few are able to consicously realize this, but on a subconscious level, that certainly accounts for the test results. Also, these tests prove that you can't "buy" your way to innovation. It has to come from people motivated/passionate about what they do. Sadly, most corporations treat you like little more than a cog in a gear.

I'm reminded of my days searching for summer jobs. I went to a few places which had misleading ads like "management trainee, big $$$" only to find it was basically a sales job. My eyes glazed over when they started talking about big bonuses for high sales. To me anyway it seemed the organization had no purpose other than to encourage consumption of generally useless products to increase its bottom line. Philosophically, when I do something I need to see that it performs a higher, needed function for society at large.

So yes, everything in that presentation is true. We need more companies which give people autonomy, encourage creativity, and more importantly perform a larger social function in the process, all while making enough profit to compensate their workers enough so money isn't an issue. Incidentally, all this is yet more fodder to get rid of the whole publicly owned company mentality. People aren't really motivated all that well by money even when they profit more for doing a good job. The corollary to that is they'll be even less motivated when the goal is to increase shareholder profit. Blindly making money to benefit those who already have more than they know what to do with seems a pointless task.

Interesting discussion somewhat related to all this:

How rich is too rich? The inequality of wealth distribution