Votes: 0 0.0%
  • webmail (via browser)

• Ximian Evolution

• Total voters

Adcadet

Storage Freak
just wondering what everybody uses for a mail client.

I mostly use my laptop (WinXP) for mail stuff, and I use Outlook. I decided to go with Outlook since it lets me sync my Palm Pilot with it's callendar, and it supports my multiple accounts, including IMAP.

BUT, I prefer to use Evolution on my desktop when I boot into Linux. I find it does everything Outlook does (on my desktop, so I don't use it's callendar and I don't sync it with my Palm Pilot), but much faster. Granted, it could be my laptop (P2M, 256MB RAM, 5400 RPM HD vs. Dual Athlon MP 1.2GHz, 512MB Ram, Cheetah 18XL).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Eudora here. I wouldn't hate Outlook if it wasn't a) unsafe b) made by Microsoft. Tried Netscape/Mozilla mail, old (6.x) Opera mail client, but I prefer Eudora to the others I've tried. Heard good things about TheBat!, but never tried it. I'm not a heavy mail user anyway. I also heard that Ximian was the greatest thing since the four holes button, but I haven't tried it either.

Handruin

Administrator
I use outlook, but I also use 50% webmail, so it was a tough call in your poll.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
So with the preliminary results in 50% of the people are are as "stupid" as me; Using Outlook that is.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Using outlook isn't stupid. Misguided, maybe. :)

I don't think there's much justification to Outlook, unless you're someone who needs the Calendar aspect of the program. Other software can handle everything else, doesn't have the virus vulnerabilities, and won't use Word as an email editor (something I believe is akin to using a bazooka to kill a mosquito).

We've been over all this before, of course, but yes, it amazes me how many people use that software.

honold

Storage is cool
eudora...yuck

i'm the only oe voter so far. outlook's imap support isn't as good, and everything else is ugly or unusable :<

Handruin

Administrator
Right now outlook checks 9 e-mail accounts for me and separates the content into folders. Which e-mail cleints will do the same? I also use the calendar for reminders and appointments, but I could ditch it in favor of another e-mail client that will manage numerous e-mail accounts at the same time.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm looking for an email client that will also brush my teeth. Will Mozilla Mail do that, or is that a feature coming out in the next release?

honold

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
Have something against softwares that aren't virus magnets?
i've never gotten a virus, i receive about 200-250 pieces of mail per day (that does not count mailing lists), and i've been using oe as my primary mailer for as long as i can remember.

if you'd like, i can give you my email address and you can send any virus you want to me. it won't work.

I see you are a very versatile and open-minded person.
i periodically try different mail clients, and they always suck in one way or the other (aesthetics, features, or usability).

i only have a couple complaints about oe - lack of imap rules, lack of imap trash hack, and the issue where if you receive mail and delete/purge it it will occasionally keep the 'new message' indicator up until you receive another piece.

there's the 'begin' bug, but that's only a slight issue on unix mailing lists - and only with the snottiest of users. ctrl-f3 views the source, so it really doesn't matter.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I'm using OE at home nowadays and Outlook at work where it's calendar and scheduling functionality is extensively used.

would people like an 'Other' catagory added?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Outlook Express :oops:

I do keep my Windows fully patched though, my antivirus updated every day (unless I forget, but its become a habit every morning), and the POP server scans incoming mail for viruses as well.

I had a virus come through a year or two ago but the antivirus on my machine caught it in time.

Ralf Hutter

What is this storage?
I use Operas' email client. I use the browser and the client does everything I need for email. This is applicable to Opera 6.05, the new email client in Opera 7.0 sucks pretty bad. If I wasn't using Opera I'd probably use the Netscape email client.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
I use Outlook. I use the pst folders to store different mail.
At work it is pretty much standard since we have an exchange server and use the tasks in outlook (which are only slightly usable in my opinion).

Any mail client let you view messages in a thread view?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Outlook all the way. I couldn't live without it. I use the Calendar and To Do list extensively. I use Chapura's PocketMirror to sync my e-mail, appointments, and to do lists with my Sony CLIE PDA. An excellent personal information and time management system.

I am curious... to those who use a pure e-mail client like Eudora, how do you organize your daily/weekly activities? How do you sync with your PDA (if you have one, that is)? What is your "system" like for scheduling/contact management?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
An organ ise iz zomething from the cryogenicz field, where they deal with the produktion and affectz of very low temperatures.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
e_dawg said:
Outlook all the way. I couldn't live without it. I use the Calendar and To Do list extensively. I use Chapura's PocketMirror to sync my e-mail, appointments, and to do lists with my Sony CLIE PDA. An excellent personal information and time management system.

I am curious... to those who use a pure e-mail client like Eudora, how do you organize your daily/weekly activities? How do you sync with your PDA (if you have one, that is)? What is your "system" like for scheduling/contact management?

maybe I'm unorganized... I just store things in my brain and remember them when needed... I have a backup I guess.... a date book that I got with my school books.. but I use it mostly for checking which holidays get me out of class ;-)

no PDA.. no calendar... (btw, I use mozilla and webmail)

Mercutio

I don't do schedules. I keep everything in my head. I don't forget. I don't misremember. I just know. It frightens everyone I work with, but it's never even been an issue for me. My office runs Exchange/Outlook, except me, and everyone else carries around wince handhelds for all that crap. The sad thing is, someone can say something about a date, and I'll remember their other engagements before they can look them up.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
e_dawg said:

I used to do like you do with my Palm. It has since died. These days activities outside the routine are scarce. I wake up in the morning and read through my old emails to see if I have anything planned. I don't forget the important appointments and when I forget the others I don't worry about it. I remember things based on what day it is and what time of day. If I really have to remember something I write it in a little spirl notepad that fits in my pocket. I'm only out $.50 if I lose it.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
My uncle is the same way. He laughs at such things as organizers and especially PDA's. Since he barely knows how to use Notes, I doubt he would use it to track his appointments. "I remember details about everyone I meet and I never forget my appointments. You just have to develop structure for your memory," he says. I recall a time when he asked me what my phone number was. "937 xxxx" ... "Three and seven add up to 10, so you have 9, 10, and..." Suffice to say, he never forgot my number.

Mercutio, do you employ such systems or "structure" your memory?

Mercutio

It depends. My days very seldom involve six non-routine appointments, but I've certainly done it before. Just a good memory for that stuff, I guess.