Where are the big 4:3 LCDs?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
See subject.

My favorite monitor - a Viewsonic P815 (21", .22 dot pitch, can do 150Hz refresh @ 1280x1024) - is on its last legs. I want to replace it with another 4:3 display of slightly larger size. 23", 24", something like that. Something that would make 1600x1200 comfortable to view.

Why can't I find any?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
It seems that LCD displays above 21.3" are also above 1600x1200 native.

Of the current LCDs, the Samsung 214t (21.3" - 1600x1200) seems to be one of the standouts in picture quality.

Funny you should mention the P815. In the short time (8 years) I've been building and rebuilding my home PC's I've always had the same monitor... A P815 that I bought new from CDW back in early '98.

Stereodude

Not really a
The better question is why do you want a monitor with such a low dpi. The human visual system can easily see ~200 dpi at the typical monitor distance, so the real questions is why aren't we seeing monitors with higher than 100 dpi (20" 1600x1200 monitor).

15.4" WUXGA displays are pretty nice, as are the IBM T221's.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it has a lot with the way people use their computers.

Most people, me included, tend to work with a single maximized application at a time. Other apps may be running, but generally, I only have one big window at a time on-screen (usually on their own desktop).

In that case, beyond a certain point, screen resolution is not terribly relevant; it's all going to that one application. For as much time I spend on PCs in a day (uh... 14 or 16 hours in my case), resizing a Window to make room for another is something I only do maybe a couple times a week. I know higher resolutions would in theory allow me to have more open windows, but I don't work that way.

I'd still rather have 1600x1200, though. If nothing else, it'll make it harder for Santilli to cause me to scroll horizontally when he mis-posts some obnoxiously long URL in a thread here.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
I think it has a lot with the way people use their computers.

Most people, me included, tend to work with a single maximized application at a time. Other apps may be running, but generally, I only have one big window at a time on-screen (usually on their own desktop).

In that case, beyond a certain point, screen resolution is not terribly relevant; it's all going to that one application. For as much time I spend on PCs in a day (uh... 14 or 16 hours in my case), resizing a Window to make room for another is something I only do maybe a couple times a week. I know higher resolutions would in theory allow me to have more open windows, but I don't work that way.

I'd still rather have 1600x1200, though. If nothing else, it'll make it harder for Santilli to cause me to scroll horizontally when he mis-posts some obnoxiously long URL in a thread here.

Funny, that is my browsing habit as well. The only reason I use 1280x1024 is becuase that's the native res on my monitor. I was actually looking forward to the Dell 30" Screen because then I could use 1/4 of it's native res (1280x800) and still have a sharp image. A 1024x768 32" LCD would do just fine for my business apps 90% of the time. In fact, when I had a 2020U (22" CRT) on my desk it ran at 1024x768 most of the time.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Speaking of native resolution, I've been looking into purchasing a 19" LCD monitor but they all seem to be 1280x1024. I'd like 1600x1200 but that resolution only seems available for the much more expensive 21" and up displays. BTW, I'm currently using 1024x768 on a second-hand 15" monitor.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:

I'm afraid even 1920*1200 is not enough for that, on occasion :mrgrn:

Perhaps David has it right, go for 2560 across.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
A Dell 20.1" LCD is 1600x1200 and can be had for just over $500; probably about as much as your 15" CRT when it was new ;)
My CRT cost me $0. I found it by the curb. The only CRT I did buy (also 15") cost me $180 in early 1999. I almost bought a 19" CRT which was $99 last year but decided to hold off until LCDs dropped in price some more. I really don't want another bulky CRT.

Right now my price point is ~$200. I've seen 19" LCDs going for $229 on specials but the 20" and higher are a huge price jump for a measly 1" of screen. That's the real problem. I don't mind a larger screen in order to get the 1600x1200 resolution, but not at $200 over what a 19" LCD costs.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yes, what Merc said. Where are they? The market has gone stupid and everything is targetted at the home entertainment moron set, there is practically nothing for those of us who use computers a lot and want a serious, professinal grade product to do serious work on. I am so lucky I bought one of the last of the decent 22 inch CRTs. My 19 inch 1280 x 1024 LCD is OK but .... well, it's just OK. I want a 23 inch at 1600 res or better. No dice.

Sol

Storage is cool
In theory of course if the major buyers of wide screen LCDs are the HD home entertainment crowd looking for an extremely high res display for watching movies on we should start to see a really big second hand market for wide screen LCDs in the next year or so.
When the next generation of video disks hit the market all the videophiles will need new DRM compliant monitors to play them and you'll just be able to get a really big second hand widescreen LCD and use it with black bars on either side (assuming someone cares enough to support that I guess)...