Which printer would you pick?

• Canon i320 for $30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HP Deskjet 825C for $20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Handruin

Administrator
I've seen two deals on bens bargains. I am in need of replacing my very old HP 660C deskjet. I'm leaning towards the Canon because of the HP stories Tannin has shared. Both printers seem about the same for the money. I have no requirements other then it should print ocasionally when I need directions from map quest. :)

Any thoughts or experieinces with either brand?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I mistook the Canon i320 for one of their older low-end models (so I voted for the HP). I haven't tried the i320, but I really like my S600. Canon's new printers drink considerably less ink than anything from HP. However, if you don't use your printer frequently, the ink will dry and screw the printing head. Canon's printer are not nearly as bad as the Epson on this regard though.

Colors are generally more saturated on HP printers than on the Canon's, but image precision is the other way around.

Since I cannot test them all : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,581924,00.asp

I thought the i320 was a close relative to the S330, that's why I didn't chose it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
At the price point you are talking about, it is hard to compensate for 50% increase in cost from the HP to the Cannon. Both are basic disposable printers, where you buy another printer instead of buying replacement cartridges. As long as both will survive through one set of cartridges, both produce acceptable output, and the Cannon's cartridges don't last 50% longer than HP's then pick HP.

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
At the price point you are talking about, it is hard to compensate for 50% increase in cost from the HP to the Cannon. Both are basic disposable printers, where you buy another printer instead of buying replacement cartridges. As long as both will survive through one set of cartridges, both produce acceptable output, and the Cannon's cartridges don't last 50% longer than HP's then pick HP.

That's a good point. I wasn't going to expect much from either, but you're right about the print catridges...they will cost more then replacing the printer.

Stereodude

Not really a
Handruin said:
P5-133XL said:

That's a good point. I wasn't going to expect much from either, but you're right about the print catridges...they will cost more then replacing the printer.
That's why you buy several of the printers for that price.

Stereodude

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
HP, scumbuckets that they are, only half-fill the cartridges in their new printers. Canon may or may not do the same, I'm not sure about Canon. Epson give you full ones. Watch out for the old "sell the printer with only one cartridge in it" trick, too.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Your post implies that you really don't print very often. It's been my experience (DeskJet 990) that the HP cartridges don't dry out or clog even if the printer is left on 24x7. A few years ago I had a CanonBJC600 (or was it a 620?) and I couldn't say the same about it.

- Fushigi

Handruin

Administrator
Fushigi said:
Your post implies that you really don't print very often. It's been my experience (DeskJet 990) that the HP cartridges don't dry out or clog even if the printer is left on 24x7. A few years ago I had a CanonBJC600 (or was it a 620?) and I couldn't say the same about it.

- Fushigi

I don't print very often, and in fact, the catridges in my DJ 660C have been in there for almost a year or more without any issues. It's just the annoying clunk it makes every time the head moveds. It's almost dead I believe.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com

- Fushigi

I have a HP 560C... I find that the ink cartridges will either dry out or worse yet leak/gooze ink out of the cartdridge if left inactive for very long. When I say long, I mean 2-3 months.

I bought a new black cartridge and left it in the printer for just a couple months and noticed that it had leaked its gooey contents inside and onto every impossibly hard to clean place in the printer. I remember having to jump through alot of hoops to get things working again... I haven't bothered even buying a color cartridge for years because it wasn't worth the cost to me.

I'm sticking to my Lexmark which still works reliably enough.... the HP just collects dust and is probably not even plugged in anymore.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Good point, Fushigi. In my limited experience, the HP inkjets are low maintenance. My DeskJet 720c rarely clogged, jammed, or fed multiple pages. (interestingly enough, the 825c looks like a rebadged 720c)

My Canon BJC-6000, OTOH, did nothing but clog its printheads and feed multiple pages with its vertical tray. In fact, this was possibly the straw that broke the camel's back... ever since then, I have used laser printers exlusively.

IMO, the 3 biggest problems with inkjets are: (1) propensity of printheads to clog, (2) propensity of vertical sheet feeders to start feeding multiple pages after a year or so, and (3) cost of consumables.

HP inkjets take care of the first two probably better than any other inkjet manufacturer (almost all HP's use side/bottom feed horizontal paper trays). There is nothing you can do about #3 unless you buy a laser.

HP 825c

Pros: horizontal paper tray, clog-resistant heads, USB cable included
Cons: black ink cart not included (colour is, though), photo quality not as good as the Canon

Canon i320

Pros: both black and colour ink carts included, better photo quality
Cons: flimsy vertical paper tray, heads prone to clogging, no USB cable

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Oops, forgot... Which one would I vote for? I would go for the HP 825c and buy a black ink cart for $30. You will spend $50 combined instead of $30 for the Canon, but at least you won't throw the printer through the window when print heads start clogging and it starts sucking in a dozen sheets of paper when you print.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
That should read $40 for the Canon, factoring in the USB cable that you will have to purchase unless you already have a spare one.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
They're more like $1 or $1.50 if you know where to buy them.

I like HP Inkjets. Almost entirely because of the fact their printers keep paper horizontal, which I think is a much better mechanism than the top-feeders. Since HP is the only company that does things that way, they get my inkjet budget.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Well, at least it's cheaper than parallel cables that cost $20 US. Of course, I am referring to most big box stores that typically run these massive discounts on printers (and bend you over when it comes to cables and such).

You can certainly find them for less if you go to a "real" OEM part carrying computer store, but sometimes the cost of gas and time required to drive to said store in order to save $5 on your USB cable is just not worth it -- better to buy the cable with the printer while you're at it.