question Which series Intel SSD for a desktop pc, and where to buy it?

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
I've finally come to the decision that my almost 5 year old desktop needs some TLC. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Intel, and only Intel, SSD. I'm thinking of the 180GB size as a happy medium between 120GB and 240GB. My plan is to install Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the SSD and build it up with my most used programs. My current OS is Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit, which limits my ASUS P5Q SE/R MB's memory usage to 3.328GB of the installed 4GB. The MB can accommodate 16GB of 240-pin 1066 ( PC2 8500 ) DDR2 RAM. There are four DIMM sockets on the MB.

I'm confused about the many series Intel offers. What series do you suggest, and where should I buy it? The desktop is for personal use, only!

Handruin

Administrator
That leaves with with only three options if you're looking for 180GB. Edit: (i hit reply too quickly) Why are you only looking at Intel SSDs? There are so many options that I don't see the reason to limit yourself.

335 series [MLC]
520 series (older) [MLC]
525 series [MLC]
530 series [MLC] (probably the best deal)
pro 1500 series (top-tier OEMs likely) [MLC]

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I know that I bought 2x 180GB 530 series at Fry's during cyber-monday where they price-matched Newegg's $110 shipped, for Xmas presents. When you are dealing with brand-name SSD's I don't think where you buy it matters, just price.

I also agree that you shouldn't necessarily limit yourself to Intel. Newegg just had a sale on 256GB Crucial M500 for $110 and I would have picked that over an 180GB Intel 530. The only thing I know that Intel does much better than the competition is the 5Y warranty on the drives Handruin mentioned but note that doesn't apply to the SSD wearing out from writing too much data on it.

apairofpcs

That leaves with with only three options if you're looking for 180GB. Edit: (i hit reply too quickly) Why are you only looking at Intel SSDs? There are so many options that I don't see the reason to limit yourself.

335 series [MLC]
520 series (older) [MLC]
525 series [MLC]
530 series [MLC] (probably the best deal)
pro 1500 series (top-tier OEMs likely) [MLC]
OK, then enlighten me as to Intel's competition for a 180GB unit.

The Newegg link represents a good price. I can go as high as $150, if necessary. A 5 year parts & labor warranty is excellent in this day and age.

Handruin

Administrator
I was only going based on your criteria. Now that you offered a budget range which is equally as important in deciding on an SSD it opens more options. I like P5-133XL's suggestion of the Crucial M500. I prefer 256GB and above because I feel like they perform better and have more room for wear-leveling. That also assumes that size fits into your budget which it looks like it might in this case.

Handruin

Administrator
FWIW, my HP Elitebook 840 G1 came with a 180GB Intel Pro 1500 series SSD.

I didn't elaborate what I meant by crossing it off my list. I'm not saying it's a bad drive...it just might be tough to find on a retail level since the info I read suggested it was intended for top-tier OEMs to include in their products much like in your case with the HP Elitebook.

apairofpcs

Wanting to make this project a short one, I ordered a 180GB Intel 530 series SSD from Newegg last night. I'll have it on Fri. or Mon. Now I need more "very expensive" DDR2 1066 SDRAM to expand my MB from 4GB to either 8GB or 16GB, after installing Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the SSD.

I thank all contributors to this short thread for your input.