Why can't I get the floppy drive to work?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
i said:
*sigh* Or maybe it's not SCSI. I wish I could find a definitive explanation on how those 26-pin connectors are used on those older Toshibas.....
...and then of course things like this from Adaptec turn up that, as listed under "External Connectors" at "Technical Specifications" section, have the following:

26-pin connector attaches to 50-pin High-Density (included), 50-pin Low-Density (included), or DB25 (via mail-in offer) cable

If Adaptec can squeeze SCSI through a 26-pin connector via a 32-bit Cardbus slot, why couldn't Toshiba have something similar acting as a host controller inside a Tecra laptop?
For sure its 80pin SCSI. Even more evidence comes from the writing on the connector cable that I noted:
(something covered by the connector housing then: WM E41447 Style 20276 VW-1 Hitatchi-R
My friend Google says its SCSI cable. :D
However, my old nemesis Acrobat wants to phone to all kinds of motherships when I open any of those PDFs :evil:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
KPDF opened them, only without displaying the Japanese characters. Fortunately there were English translations included for anything remotely interesting in the document. It looked like it was just structural and electrical characteristics of the cable.

I hate to say it, but based on some of the things I've read, even if it is a SCSI floppy you may not be able to get it to work with a standard SCSI controller.

I get a vague sense that either A) the SCSI controller needs to somehow understand what to do with a SCSI floppy drive, or B) you need software drivers loaded in order to communicate with the drive at some primitive level.

If that's the case, then the SCSI controller embedded in your Toshiba laptop (if that's what it is) is probably the only thing around that can communicate with that floppy drive. I really can't be sure though. There's frustratingly little information out there about any of this.

If you're really hard-pressed for space in that system, to the point you don't want a floppy drive hogging space, maybe something like this would be simpler?

At any rate, you can't recycle that laptop, CityK! Either spruce it up, or send it to me! :)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
i said:
At any rate, you can't recycle that laptop, CityK! Either spruce it up, or send it to me! :)
Well, I think you've talked me into staying the execution. I don't know if I'll personally be able to reform the prisnor, but barring my failure, I'll get the extradition papers together. Right now inmate 500CDT will remain in cell block G.