Why doesn't anyone make...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why doesn't anyone make a keyboard with a smallish LCD (12 or 14 inch) attached? I can think of at least five or six applications for that in as many seconds, even more if someone can make the video signal run over CAT5.

Why doesn't anyone make a remote control that can be programmed or upgraded via USB (er, affordably. I imagine a Philips Pronto probably is, but then, that thing has a faster CPU and more RAM than an iPaq)?

Why isn't there a consumer device to broadcast and receive video via 802.11?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I was thinking about the "LCD display in a keyboard" again yesterday. I say again because it's something I've been wishing for for ages (as I'm sure many other people have). It'd be great if you could tilt the display too (just like you find on Nortel/Meridian phones).

I also know what you mean about USB connections on household items. All summer long I've been wondering why my apartment's thermostat doesn't have a USB link. That way I could monitor my home's temperature from anywhere, and optionally control the settings through my computer. Come on people! USB is ubiquitous now - there's no reason basic electronic devices can't start including a USB port.

Mercutio

Nope. That's just a big antenna. I'm good for that.

What I'd love to see is a consumer devices with some RCA or maybe SPDIF connections for audio, and svideo connections for video, a Tivo-like MPEG encoder chip, shoutcast-like server support and 802.11A/G awareness.

On the client end, a portable device, maybe the size of a discman or even a laptop (under 10lbs with power. Bonus if it runs on batteries OR AC) with mini-headphone out AND the usual array of A/V connectors (RCA stereo, SPDIF, Composite and svideo).

This would be a fantastically cool product. Heck, it'd be fantastically cool if it was just audio.

Maybe I should be telling this to my father instead of you guys. :)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hmm ... scratch that then. I thought you meant a basic LCD display, 12 or 14 inches wide ... but only 1.5 to 2 inches high, positioned right above the function keys at the back of the keyboard. That's what I'd love to see.

Mercutio

That IS what I'm thinking of.
The only other interesting aspect would be finding a nicer carrier for video than a big, thick VGA cable.

I'm working on wiring my house now. Cat6 for ethernet. Cat6 for svideo. Cat6 for stereo.

Handruin

Administrator
Cybex (avocent) uses CAT5 to transfer video...maybe they might have something to aid your project?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Merc, have you thought of BNC? 5xBNC cables easily convert to standard HD15 VGA connectors without any modification of the video signal. They're readily available froma number of online sources and have great signal range and integrety. You can get BNC cables to meet a variety of video and audio needs.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
This is probably what You'd want as a replacement for the bulky VGA cable... That's mainly for projectors at the moment, with a special M1-DA connector. Max. resolution is XGA (1024x768), but I don't think much larger would be feasible on a 12" screen. Also, the price is listed $500 at the InFocus shop.

Maybe You should look for displays that have keyboards attached (instead of keyboards that have displays attached)? :D

Cheers,

Jan

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
You can get very long DVI cables (they use fiber convertors for the run). I believe in the region of $300-$400 for 30ft(m)?